A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Groupie

California
New masters and want to be a science teacher

Hello everyone,
I have a new master's in administration. I am 58 and work as a special education para in LAUSD. This is my 6th year in this job. I was a teacher in the past. I am certified in special ed., English, and biology. I am trying to get certified in chemistry by taking the CSET , although I have failed it four times. I am really feeling discouraged about looking but my husband and I really need the money and he is pressuring me to find something better. I keep telling my husband that my age is a barrier. What do I do?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Companion

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
What about the school you work at now? Have you talked to your Principal about the possibility of switching over to teaching? I would think since you've worked there for so long that would be your best opportunity at getting a position, no?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
Can you branch out of LAUSD? I know they haven't been hiring elementary for years, and I've heard it's extremely difficult to get a job in any teaching position with them. I don't watch the secondary postings on Edjoin, but maybe there is something available in other LA area districts in SpEd, English, or Bio?

You could also go charter - lots of those hiring in LA. Some better than others, of course.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Multitudinous

I'm not sure how things work in your district, but I really don't know that it's your age holding you back. To be honest, it seems like you have an impressive resume, at least in terms of education. I think that might be off-putting for some employers because they will wonder why you have such impressive credentials but are in a para position.

I think maybe you just need to move somewhere else. There are jobs out there.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Cohort

Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
I'm not sure how things work in your district, but I really don't know that it's your age holding you back. To be honest, it seems like you have an impressive resume, at least in terms of education. I think that might be off-putting for some employers because they will wonder why you have such impressive credentials but are in a para position.

To be honest, before I read Caesar's reply, I also wondered why you were working in an aide position. That might put some district off. I do know that it can be hard to find a teaching position, but you may need to expand your search if you are not getting any nibbles.
Good luck!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoteacher View Post
To be honest, before I read Caesar's reply, I also wondered why you were working in an aide position. That might put some district off. I do know that it can be hard to find a teaching position, but you may need to expand your search if you are not getting any nibbles.
Good luck!
Being an overqualified aide is extremely common in CA, so I'm not sure districts would think twice about it, honestly. When I worked as a para, many of the other paras and substitutes had teaching credentials and some had experience. It's very common around here because the job market is so atrocious.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Groupie

California
I have applied to some charter and private schools. I signed up for the Public Charter School Job Board. I hope to hear from somebody soon. Thank you for your support.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Comrade

Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post

I know of many Teacher Assistants on Long Island who are certified teachers. I have my MS in Elementary Ed, and I'm also certified in Early Childood and Students with Disabilities. In fact, many districts here on Long Island are only interviewing people for TA positions who are certified TEACHERS (not TAs). Why? Simply because they can. I don't know how it is where the OP is from, but over half of the TAs in my building are certified teachers.

No one around here would ever ask me why I chose to be a TA instead of having my own classroom for the past year...there simply aren't jobs available.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Multitudinous

I know that there are a lot of aide positions currently held by licensed teachers. My point here is that the OP is licensed in multiple subjects, including administration. I do maintain my opinion that it could be off-putting to potential employers to see that amount of education without current experience as a regular teacher.

Tags
abd, acience, masters, teacher, wanbt