A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Rookie

AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenS View Post
Hello All,
I am new to the forum, so I apologize if there are many threads about this!!

I just started teaching (was hired the weekend before school started..) and I am just now starting guided reading groups (I know, it's late, but I wanted to start the D5). Anyways, I don't have a curriculum for reading, which is an advantage and disadvantage (the only book we use is words their way). I am not sure where to even begin with guided reading . I know basically what I want to do and I have them split into groups based on the DRA II, but can anyone help me just where to even begin? I just don't want to mess it up. I found books suitable for children based on their levels that were already in my classroom library when I came in, but they don't have a common theme or anything. Based on the levels here are the groups I have: Level 4 (2 kids), Level 6 (3 kids), Level 8 (3 kids), Level 10 + (4 kids). Yes, I only have 12 kids, I work in a small private school!

Thank you in advance for all your help!! I ordered a few books but they haven't come in yet, and I REALLY need to start asap.
Don't worry. You are such a responsible teacher and will definitely do a great job.
DD's teacher send us to this site beestar for reading. Maybe it can help you. The worksheets are full of vivid pictures and stories, very attractive and systemic. DD has been using it and supports it.
Lisa

Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Novice

Dutchess County, New York
Primary Elementary Teacher
What are the other groups doing while you are working with a guided reading group? Just reading books on their level? Completing prepared activities/worksheets on their book? Doing a writing exercise/writing in their journals?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
I have a number of activities for my (non-teacher table) groups to perform while I am with groups. We have several computer apps that they ALL love. Some groups do word study (either with flash cards, games, or writing sentences (this ranges from cloze activities for my lowest to creating stories for my highest) ). I have phonics games that I have made or purchased from TPT. Some groups do buddy reading or reading to self, followed by a reading response activity. I also have a listening center. Often, there is a "seat work" activity involving grammar as well. As with all things, I make sure to practice, practice practice any activity and its related expectations before "letting them loose."

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss
Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 AM
Novice

Dutchess County, New York
Primary Elementary Teacher
Thanks

Tags
guided, reading