A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Comrade

Ohio, USA
Middle school language arts
Desperate to get into a public school!

hey guys,
I am teaching in a small christian school. I love the school but am desperate to get into a public school in my county. The main reason is money, (which i know isn't everything) but I need to be able to support my family if my wife lost her job etc.

I also want to get into a middle school instead of the lower grades. I have updated my stuff on the ODE website and am now just waiting for some openings in my license area!

Is there anything else I could be doing? There is not many openings at all in central ohio at the moment.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
This time of year is horrid if you're trying to look for work. If you're patient enough to wait until the end of the school year, that is when those posting increase. What is your middle school subject concentration? I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Comrade

Ohio, USA
my concentration is 4-9 language arts/social studies
Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Comrade

Are you looking for a job for next year (2013-14)? It's a little early, but in addition to ODE also check K-12 jobspot ohio every day, and this website also has occasional central Ohio openings, but I think most are for Northwest/Northeast Ohio.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Comrade

Florida
3rd Grade ELA
I just did the same thing. I've been teaching PT at a small Christian preschool, but I wanted a position in my local school district. I watched my district's vacancy list closely and as soon as a position that I wanted opened up, I emailed my résumé and cover letter to the principal. I also dropped off resumes at a couple schools that I was very interested in even if they didn't have any current openings. I lucked out, because a teacher recently relocated, so I'll begin my new job in two weeks!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Comrade

Ohio, USA
thanks for the replies guys. I know it is a little early for next year but I still look every day lol. I check ODE and ohio k12 jobspot. We will see what opens up! I am at least moving up grades at this school so I should be ok even if I cannot find one this year. (but i really want to!)
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Honestly, I see a LOT of openings for middle school each year, but they tend to be at charter schools. If this is something you would consider, it would give you grade-level job experience in (technically) public school setting.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Comrade

Ohio, USA
Catnfiddle.... this is something I would consider but it would have to be a good charter school that has been around for a while (so that i have job security etc)...

It would have to be a good situation as I would more than likely have to drive to columbus. which is a 30 minute drive.

I will more than likely have the chance to move up a few grades at my curent school... which would help with job satisfaction but would not help with money etc.

Tags
desperate, public, school