A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Other Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message. Click here for more info.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Newcomer

The case study. It is totally freaking me out. I've taken a few practice tests and the multiple choice questions are not a problem. The essays are a little worrisome, but the case study is overwhelming. It's like I forget everything I know and can't think of anything and all the buzzwords and terminology is gone.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Hugs. Think of it as a conversation that you're having with a colleague who knows reading instruction and wishes you well and is doublechecking with you to see what you're doing for this kid and why.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Newcomer

California
RICA Study Guide

[email]EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead[/email]'m getting ready to take the RICA in the next couple months, would it be possible receive your study guide? Thanks so much![/QUOTE]
Old 09-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Newcomer

Excellent - May I have your e-mail/contact information?

Alright, it sounds like you have the right study materials. I need the right study materials. May I please get your contact information/email dimples8484?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples8484 View Post
Bubbarossa,

I am a moderate/severe credential holder and struggled with the RICA because I never had to take reading classes except for just a few. So, basically I was forced to learn everything about reading from the ground up. Chris Boosalis' videos on YouTube were my saving grace. I failed the RICA by one point the first time. I was so depressed, then I was told about Boosalis. I emailed him personally and asked him to tutor me but he was unavailable, but he did send me a practice test and gave me some pointers. I went ahead and memorized EVERYTHING on his videos and typed out the notes verbatim. I have everything you need to pass this test. Afterwards, I took it the second time and passed it with flying colors! I seriously didn't know the difference between phonics/phonemic awareness before I started. If you want my notes and all the info just email me and I will be happy to help.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Newcomer

Alright, yes may I please have the study materials that have worked for you? I want to pass the RICA and have watched Boosalis, I tried to take it as a head start since I'm just starting the MS Credential program. I would really appreciate it if you could share your notes with me. What is your e-mail?!
Old 09-13-2014, 12:24 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
SodaJerk841, welcome to A to Z.

Kudos to you for wanting to get a head start on things - but PLEASE wait to attempt RICA until you have taken your credential program's coursework in reading instruction methodology. You might even find, as many people have, that RICA will make still more sense after you've done your student teaching and seen reading instruction in practice.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:18 AM
Newcomer

TeacherGroupie, is there anyway I can pass the RICA without my credential program's coursework in literacy methodology? What in my literacy methods class will I be taught that I cannot learn about outside of the class, or can be used as a resource to take and pass this test?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:43 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaJerk841 View Post
TeacherGroupie, is there anyway I can pass the RICA without my credential program's coursework in literacy methodology? What in my literacy methods class will I be taught that I cannot learn about outside of the class, or can be used as a resource to take and pass this test?
Sorry I missed your post earlier, SodaJerk841.

It's certainly POSSIBLE to pass RICA without the literacy instruction methodology coursework - but the coursework is required for a multiple subject credential anyway, and it does cover ground that you need to cover to pass the test, so you may as well allow that time (and money!) to serve both purposes at once.

The content is not entirely unique to the literacy instruction coursework, but it's not commonly taught elsewhere. Coursework in linguistics helps make some sense of phonemic and phonological awareness, word analysis and certain aspects of fluency, though one can count on having to relearn different terminology that doesn't always make sense, like "structural analysis" for 'breaking words down into morphemes', and I suspect most intro-to-language texts and courses still harbor the belief that written language is merely a pale simulacrum of spoken language. Coursework in English to speakers of other languages puts one ahead on second language literacy acquisition but doesn't do so much for first language literacy acquisition - concepts about print are fundamental in ways that can make it hard for an adult fluent reader to be conscious of them - and the multiple meanings and ramifications of "fluency" can be problematic. A major in English literature or language gives good background in genre and text structures (which literacy coursework doesn't always handle well) and analytical tools, but does little to nothing for the tools to impart and assess vocabulary and comprehension.

If you're determined to tackle RICA without the coursework, let's talk privately.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Newcomer

California
Dimples8484, I am attempting my fourth try at the RICA in December. Would you be able to send me your notes? I am watching Boosalis and reading his book! Here's to hoping fourth time is a charm! Thank you!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, BJudah. Which domains or tasks are giving you grief, and how?

Tags
passing, rica, secret