A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Then this is what I would do when your principal comes in for an evaluation. Regroup with the class, address the problem, and refocus on something a little different.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Cohort

Elementary School Teacher
I really don't have any advice to offer. Just words of support. You've got a tough group. The fact that you can say for the most part you enjoy it is very telling. To me that means you were cut out to do this kind of work.

Your principal's job is to support you. I hope your principal does her job well.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Novice

Midwest USA
Special Education Teacher
Hi, thank you everyone for your imput.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Cohort

Middle School Teacher
I think my personality is a bit like yours. However, it just depends on how you present your topic. Have you tried a powerpoint? It helps focus the students to the vibrant colors and even sounds. I think you can be yourself, but still have say in your classroom management. I don't think I'm the greatest when it comes to my classroom management, but I try to make things flow well. Plus, most students panic when the principal is in the room and they behave anyway. When I've had a rowdy group I let them know the principal is in to see how they are doing, since they can be loud. They tend to be quiet that day.

Try to go with the flow of the class. It's okay to be who you are, just make sure they are LEARNING!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Novice

Midwest USA
Special Education Teacher
^^^^^^
Hey thank you. Yes i always show powerpoints, videos, graphics.... I have the students read aloud, they do artwork, projects etc. I try not to lecture. I keep the kids busy.

So my concern is that when the prinicpal observes the class, that she will see my lack of lecturing......
I normally present a lesson on power point, they take notes, we watch a video, then the kids do a written assignment. Is that ok to do during my observation?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
I know I do my best when I am organized and prepared. It makes me confident and I perform better consequently. If you are organized and prepared, then you should be able to do your best. I think your P is likely aware of all the challenges you face. Go about it confidently and intelligently and you will be fine.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by geegee1981 View Post
^^^^^^
Hey thank you. Yes i always show powerpoints, videos, graphics.... I have the students read aloud, they do artwork, projects etc. I try not to lecture. I keep the kids busy.

So my concern is that when the prinicpal observes the class, that she will see my lack of lecturing......
I normally present a lesson on power point, they take notes, we watch a video, then the kids do a written assignment. Is that ok to do during my observation?
I don't think you should be concerned that you won't be lecturing. Keeping the kids busy isn't necessarily a good thing if they are just doing busy work. If they are engaged and working on something that meets their learning goals then I see nothing wrong with that. I don't know how it works in a Special Ed class, but in a traditional classroom setting I want my kids engaged in meaningful work where they are doing most of the work (as opposed to me doing most of the work).

Tags
evaluations, pretty, scared, teacher