A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Comrade

Ohio
Science
I tell students that if everything came so easily all the time then they shouldn't be in this class since they are not learning anything new! I also tell them that it is a sign of one's intelligence to recognize when they actually need help AND seek it by asking questions (no blanket "I don't get it" statements).

Most of my students need to realize that it is OK to make mistakes when learning a new concept. They are starting to come around, even seeking me out for extra help, which I appreciate. I can use their outside questions to begin class discussions since many will be having the same difficulties.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Habitué

Substitute Teacher
I just read this interesting article about how in Japan, struggle is seen as positive, whereas in the US, it is usually a negative. I am one of those people who shuts down if I don't just "get it" and being told to get over it while upset would make me even more upset. I think a serious conversation about struggle and achievement would be helpful. I wish someone had taught me how to struggle. I think my adult life would be easier with those skills.

Tags
honors, students