A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Companion

Schedule choices

So currently at my school the art teacher and I are on an A/B day schedule with our kids. Previously, social studies and science were run the same way. This year the SS and science teachers decided to try a new schedule where basically the kids go to one subject for a month and then switch out for the next month. So, instead of having A/B days you'd essentially have A/B months.

My P had asked me at the beginning of the year if I was interested in trying this schedule, but since this is my first year and I had reservations about it I said I felt the A/B day schedule would be better for a world language. My P was fine with this, but asked me to consider as the year went by if I thought that the A/B month schedule could work for next year.

What would you prefer? Have any of you ever done a schedule similar to the month-to-month? The SS and science teacher really like it.

What I am thinking so far...
A/B day option:
It's kind of erratic for me and the kids. Some days they don't know what classroom they are going to. Obviously, we only see each other 2/3 times a week and our class is only 45 minutes long.

Month to month:
A month is a long time to go without using a foreign language at all. I feel like I would spend more time reteaching in this format. -But- seeing them every single day might help them learn the content more easily/thoroughly in the first place.

So, I am pretty confused at this point! I would love to hear some other thoughts.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Can you plan your units so that you finish up a unit or two each month? This way you have taught and assessed the information before the month break.

SS/Sci can be taught in units but a foreign language is much more like math...Would a student do okay having double math for a month and then no math???
Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Aficionado

New Brunswick, Canada
4th Grade Teacher
I think I agree with your initial gut feeling... I teach French, and I wouldn't want to teach it every other month... they would forget everything after a month.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Multitudinous

I'm a Latin teacher, too. I would NOT want to teach it every other month. It sounds like a terrible schedule.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Companion

Thanks for the thoughts so far, everyone! I am really thinking that the A/B day schedule is the way to go. I was hoping you would chime in, Caesar, as a fellow Latin teacher. Curiously, my student teaching mentor teacher (a fellow Latinist) actually said he would prefer the month-to-month schedule.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by magistra44 View Post
Thanks for the thoughts so far, everyone! I am really thinking that the A/B day schedule is the way to go. I was hoping you would chime in, Caesar, as a fellow Latin teacher. Curiously, my student teaching mentor teacher (a fellow Latinist) actually said he would prefer the month-to-month schedule.
I just see so many problems with a month-to-month schedule. I can't believe that students would retain the material very well (or at all).
Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Cohort

NY
I agree with previous posters. Learning a foreign language requires constant repetition and reinforcement. A month-to-month schedule would severely hinder this process.
I do like for subjects that are unit oriented, such as literature, history, science, etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
If the principal feels that the schedule is confusing...you could try a week to week schedule or a M/T, T/F with a W split schedule...

Tags
choices, schedule