A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by readingrules12 View Post
I worked primary grades (although not 1st grade), and for over a decade I was the only male teacher there. It was funny to hear them say, "Mommy, I have a boy teacher."

There is appropriate and inappropriate. It sounds like you basically know where the line is. Side hugs initiated by the student are appropriate. Bear hugs are never appropriate. Teacher initiated hugs, in general, are not appropriate. High fives are appropriate.

I don't think it is wrong to have some fun in the classroom with them if it is related to the instruction. I think humor can be a great thing that helps students relax and then get back to work. Don't feel like you have to be serious. If they take too long stopping laughing, then practice showing how to stop. Tell them that you know a secret. If they put their tongue to the top of their mouth, it will stop them from laughing. (I know this because I teach 5th grade, and some of my students can be funny at times, and sometimes I know it is better not to laugh.)

Ah, interesting insights, thanks for sharing.
I do like to have fun, sometimes I feel like I have to watch my jokes because they can go on (as in, the students laughing going on and on) and it's a domino effect. I haven't taught laughing for a bit and then "life goes on." I could do that.

Funny you wrote what you did b/c Friday one student asked me why I looked so serious. I responded lightheartedly "Because sometimes some of the students drive me crazy." Perhaps not the most professional comment ever, but a very raw and honest moment. Thing is, she was one of those "some students." I think she knew full well, too, lol.

Thanks for the tongue to the roof of the mouth tip. I like it. I can have my kids practice that, b/c I do have gigglers who don't know when to stop.

BTW, I have one girl who playfully says things like "Daddy" "Squeak!" (she acts like a mouse sometimes) and "NO" when I ask her to do something. I usually give her a look and that sets her right. Daddy thing is definitely not appropriate. The others aren't as well, but I have to remember these kids are 6 and not robots. Though it's pretty obvious she says things to me she wouldn't say to another teacher (i.e. high comfort level with me; I bet she probably sees me like her uncle. She def. reminds me of one of my nieces). Again, kind of a gray disrespectful line with the "NO!" (a "soft" exclamation kind of no) response she does, but she means well.

What can I do, tell her to never say no and if she does, make her change her card?

Gotta pick your battles. I guess some teachers would be offended if their student goes "NO!" for fun and on purpose, but she gets the work done and is an above average student. Let the kid be 6 years old, lol. I got much bigger fish to fry.

As long as she doesn't call me daddy, I'm cool

Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Cohort

Florida
1st Grade Teacher
Our male coach likes to fist-bump kids. It's not something that most female teachers do so they like it!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Companion

So, she's been pretty good at not hugging me as of late. She still likes to try and touch my arm or rub it as I walk by, but I spoke with the parents about it and so far, that behavior has gone away too.

It's kind of a shame, as I like to hug my students, but again as a male you can never protect your self-image enough.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Connoisseur

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek View Post
So, she's been pretty good at not hugging me as of late. She still likes to try and touch my arm or rub it as I walk by, but I spoke with the parents about it and so far, that behavior has gone away too.

It's kind of a shame, as I like to hug my students, but again as a male you can never protect your self-image enough.
First of all Tek, congrats on teaching 1st grade. My best friend for years taught K. He was retired Navy and taught 20+ years in K. He taught two of my kids.
Secondly, you are a human being and little kids like and need hugs. After teaching awhile you realize some kids need that hug more than anything else. If they need a hug I say give them one.
I have a little autistic boy in K this year who claims to be Spiderman. I just tell him to be careful with that web stuff. He calls me dad all the time. Even asked me where mom was the other day. He sees the world differently. And so do most 6 years olds. Most of them still trust the world and love the people that give them attention and show them how to have fun. This probably includes you. They show love physically with hugs. Sometimes I think I get more from the kids than I give them. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenpe View Post
First of all Tek, congrats on teaching 1st grade. My best friend for years taught K. He was retired Navy and taught 20+ years in K. He taught two of my kids.
Secondly, you are a human being and little kids like and need hugs. After teaching awhile you realize some kids need that hug more than anything else. If they need a hug I say give them one.
I have a little autistic boy in K this year who claims to be Spiderman. I just tell him to be careful with that web stuff. He calls me dad all the time. Even asked me where mom was the other day. He sees the world differently. And so do most 6 years olds. Most of them still trust the world and love the people that give them attention and show them how to have fun. This probably includes you. They show love physically with hugs. Sometimes I think I get more from the kids than I give them. Good luck.
Just read through this old thread, stephenpe ........ I like and agree with your reply....
Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Novice

Indiana
3rd Grade Teacher
I'm male and a 3rd grade teacher. Ya gotta hug'em! You may be the only hugs they're getting. Just keep the hugs quick and always around others. I make sure I just pat them on the back or something. Maintain your quick/firm discipline first, they'll respect you.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by janis View Post
I'm male and a 3rd grade teacher. Ya gotta hug'em! You may be the only hugs they're getting. Just keep the hugs quick and always around others. I make sure I just pat them on the back or something. Maintain your quick/firm discipline first, they'll respect you.
MANY kids don't get the hugs they need ..... and that's a shame...
Old 03-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Rookie

Texas
Elementary Teacher
This is hilarious...I'm a male who teaches first grade and had the same concern when I started. They just seemed to sneak up on me. I would just give them a quick pat on the back and then high five, and eventually they would go straight for the high five.

Tags
female, hug, students