A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Multiple Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Companion

4th Grade Teacher
Praxis Middle Grades Exam 5152-5159

Hello All!

Just wondering if anyone has taken any portions or the entire exam? I know it's a newer exam; I plan on taking it early in 2013-just curious because the exam I believe is 4 hours if you do all 4 parts at the same time.

I'm a nervous test taker to begin with, and the 2 hours is daunting to me, so I'm not sure how to make it through.

I'm taking this to hopefully make myself marketable to be able to teach either m.s. math or science in PA (I am currently cert. to teach elementary only).

Thanks for your time

Old 11-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
The Test at a Glance doc for 5152, 5153, 5154, and 5155 (http://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/5152.pdf) indicates that

- 5152 is 3.5 hours (which is 210 minutes) and 210 multiple choice questions; that's a minute per question

- Each of 5153 (pedagogy), 5154 (English/social studies), and 5155 (science/math) is 70 minutes and 70 questions, which is also a minute per question

In other words, one has the same amount of time per question whether one takes 5152 in one long go or whether one spreads it out over 5153, 5154, and 5155 (which could probably be scheduled on different days). Other things being equal, for nervous takers of 5152 it probably makes more sense to spend the inevitable additional money and go with the 5153/5154/5155 package, spread out so that one isn't having to prepare all that material all at the same time.

Test 5156 (PA middle school English) has its own Test at a Glance doc (http://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/5156.pdf); this is a 90-minute test with 90 multiple choice questions, so again we're dealing with one question per minute. I infer that 5157, 5158, and 5159 (which cover social studies, math, and science - I don't know which is which) are structured similarly. Clearly there are many more questions in each subject area - though the upside of these tests is that one schedules them separately, so one isn't having to prepare for English AND social studies in one go, and the upside of more questions is that one can get a greater number wrong without being sunk.

Tags
exam, grades, middle, praxis