A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Debate & Marathon Threads Archive

Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
Obviously I was the one who said something, as I just got reamed via email to my personal email account by someone who blamed this on me. I didn't think my email was visible on here, but obviously someone has it. This isn't the first time this has happened. Last time I left for awhile, but someone else asked me to forget it and come back. I thought at the time it was someone (new poster) who ended up being banned for other reasons. Now I'm not so sure.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Rookie

Teaching Assistant
Yeah, I don't think anyone meant to offend. All they were saying is that they didn't like the idea of commercial properties being built essentially in their backyard. I don't blame them, and I'm someone who lives in an affordable apartment because we can't afford a house in this area yet.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:48 PM

Florida
I think mm means me. Sorry, mmswm. I really didn't mean anything against low income housing. I meant that less money could be spent on the surrounding landscaped areas of the housing if it is designated low-income. And that is what would be seen by the adjacent properties.

I'm not against low-income housing. I live in a condo, actually, and can't afford to move because I can't find anything much cheaper. I've actually considered renting this and going into senior housing nearby. But, my two disabled young adult kids can't seem to grow up and become independent.

Sorry your feelings were hurt.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Little City on the Prairie
Former math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsadaisy View Post
I think mm means me. Sorry, mmswm. I really didn't mean anything against low income housing. I meant that less money could be spent on the surrounding landscaped areas of the housing if it is designated low-income. And that is what would be seen by the adjacent properties.

I'm not against low-income housing. I live in a condo, actually, and can't afford to move because I can't find anything much cheaper. I've actually considered renting this and going into senior housing nearby. But, my two disabled young adult kids can't seem to grow up and become independent.

Sorry your feelings were hurt.
I live in low income housing. The landscaping is quite nice. Actually, it's far nicer than the public areas of the development of single family homes across the street.

At any rate, we spend so much time teaching our kids how dangerous and hurtful it can be to stereotype others. Your comment hurt. A lot. Maybe I'm overly sensitive right now. It's been a rough couple weeks.

Thank you for the apology. If we all go home more sensitive about making broad generalizations about any given group of people, I can go to bed happy.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Florida
My comments had nothing to do with the people who live in any particular type of development - I wouldn't think of painting them with a broad brush. My comment had to do with landscaping only. More landscaping means more privacy for those inside a development and for those adjacent to it. That's all.

Actually, I didn't understand your hurt feelings until you just described them above. I never even considered that it sounded like I was pointing to the residents. I'm sorry. Mea culpa.

Tags
rant, warning