A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Newcomer

Georgia
High School Teacher
Similar situation

I'm in a situation now that is similar. My husband received a new job in a different state...we anticipated me staying while we sold our house, but it sold right away. I am told that I can have license repercussions if I leave and they haven't hired a replacement. I will literally be homeless and have no family to stay with. The frustrating part is that just 6 weeks ago a special ed teacher was allowed to break contract simply because she wanted to work at a different school. No replacement had been hired. I was told it was a different situation since she is special ed and a co-teacher, not the main teacher. Her contract reads the exact same as mine, and I have a drastic family change taking us 600+ miles away. Can they penalize me when they released her with no replacement and no penalty?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Multitudinous

Are you certain that your state can do anything with your license? Sometimes that's just a rumor and has no basis in actual law. I think that you should make a call, anonymously if you like, to your union or to HR. See what they say. My initial feeling is that if they aren't going after the other teacher who left, then they won't go after you either, even if by law they're allowed to do so.

Incidentally, are you planning on moving somewhere else in the state? If not, you might not even need to be worried about any impact on your license in that state. You will need to apply for a new license in whatever state you move to, and your current state's license likely isn't any sort of prerequisite to that.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Newcomer

Georgia
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
[COLOR="Navy"]Are you certain that your state can do anything with your license? Sometimes that's just a rumor and has no basis in actual law. I think that you should make a call, anonymously if you like, to your union or to HR. See what they say. My initial feeling is that if they aren't going after the other teacher who left, then they won't go after you either, even if by law they're allowed to do so.

Incidentally, are you planning on moving somewhere else in the state? If not, you might not even need to be worried about any impact on your license in that state. You will need to apply for a new license in whatever state you move to, and your current state's license likely isn't any sort of prerequisite to that.[/COLOR]
I am moving to a different state and was told explicitly by my boss that if I leave with no replacement they will file with the licensing dept. I just don't want a black mark on my license for circumstances beyond my control. We have no union. And they are basically devaluing special ed teachers by saying their replacement isn't immediately necessary whereas mine is. Seems like a double standard when we all sign the same contract.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTwain View Post
I am moving to a different state and was told explicitly by my boss that if I leave with no replacement they will file with the licensing dept. I just don't want a black mark on my license for circumstances beyond my control. We have no union. And they are basically devaluing special ed teachers by saying their replacement isn't immediately necessary whereas mine is. Seems like a double standard when we all sign the same contract.
With that, here's what I'd say:

1. Ask your boss how to go about getting a replacement. Maybe if they advertise the position now, it can be filled by the time you leave.

2. Since you'll be leaving the state anyway, does it even matter what they do to your license?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
I am constantly surprised at what we are expected to put up with as teachers. I may be wrong, but are there other jobs that don't allow people to move with their families???
Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Guru

Sounds like a jerk...
Old 02-25-2013, 07:01 AM
Newcomer

Georgia
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Sounds like a jerk...
My boss really isn't...at all. She's just the messenger from the board, and she is working on finding a replacement. The board/superintendent has the power to file against my license if they choose. It isn't my direct boss who holds the cards. Has anyone here ever had this experience...you needed to be released from your contract and they wouldn't allow you without the repercussions? Just curious. It seems so extreme to me, given that mine is a case of necessity, not just a whim.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Rookie

Costa Rica
1 -3 Teacher
HI, I accepted a job and signed the contract ( NO AGREEMENT LANGUAGE, JUST AN OFFER LETTER WITH SALARY INFO AND DATE. The job does not begin until July 7th. In the meantime I got an offer from my first choice. Will I be held responsible for anything other than the guilt of disappointing them. I just signed the contract 5 days ago. Please answer ASAP - I can cut and paste and im the contract if that would help. I'd like to make the decision today.

Thank you! the job was in a state where i wouldn't have to be certified because they have recprocity with the state i currently have a cert. in. I don't think I'd ever need this school. However, they do have connections all over the United States. I think I will call the HR office and explain, question, or beg. LOOKING OVER, THERE IS NO LANGUAGE ABOUT CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT - JUST AN OFFER LETTER THAT I SIGNED...

Tags
breaking, contract