A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Newcomer

Question about teaching

Hi I'm a 20 year old male. I just recently decided I want to be a teacher and I have a few questions.

Is it possible to school hop? Does each school have a contract or something of the sort where they require that you stay there for a certain amount of time? I like to travel and I was wondering if it'd be possible to move from state to state maybe every year for a bit? Or is that frowned upon? I'm also not sure how that works as far as a retirement plan or anything like that. Sorry guys I know that's a lot but I'm trying to plan for the future.

I also had a few questions about because I am a male, am I going to be forced into 5th grade wherever I go? Someone told me that and I wanted to know if that was true. I'm an elementary education major by the way.

And last question. Does anyone have any classroom management tips? I've just started subbing and have maybe done three assignments so far but I'd appreciate anything advice.

Thank you

Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Guru

I think moving every year would be incredibly difficult. It would be difficult to find position after position, especially once it becomes clear you intend to only stick around a year, and it would difficult beginning over each year in a different school and placement. Retirement will also be an issue, but I don't know enough to offer solid information.

No, you will find other primary elementary teachers who are male. I think that's a great thing!

I would search the forum for managment tips.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Most states make you teach at least ten years to draw retirement. Also states are always open to each other's certificaiton. But, there are teaching positions abroad. And the military hire teachers to teach on some posts in other countries.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
If you like to travel, and are a native English speaker, I would suggest to get your TESL certificate. It might just be a few additional classes and 15-30 observation / tutoring volunteer hours. But with that you could teach English oversees, travel and make pretty good money.

Otherwise, trying to move state to state, school to school doesn't make that much sense. You would have to start over fresh in each school, get to know not only the students, but the school's climate, policies, etc. You'be probably teach different grade levels, which means you would have to start over each year with your lesson plans, etc.
It is incredibly hard to get teaching jobs nowadays, and it won't get much better for a while, so it would be hard to get a job. Most teachers get a teaching job and keep it as long as they can, and they pray that they don't get pink slipped.

Tags
question, teaching