A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Other Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message. Click here for more info.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Newcomer

Ca
Teacher experience needed for CTEL?

Hi... I wanted to know if I need to be a teacher to know the material on the test. I'm a T.A. for Special Ed and have been doing that for 6 years. I cleared my credential in Single Subject Spanish about 1 year ago only to find out that I can't teach without the CTEL. I'm planning on taking the tests in May so in preparing, I want to sign up for an online test prep class from my school district but am concerned that it will teach only how to take the test and not teach on the fundamentals that I, being a T.A., not a teacher need to know. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Good question, Sogog3.

CTEL is a test of concepts required to teach English learners in the state of California: CELDT and its levels and what to do with them, legislation and court cases impinging on the education of English learners, linguistics and language structure (you may well have a bit of an advantage here over, say, teachers holding the Industrial and Technical Education credential), the ins and outs of assessment, theories of first and second language acquisition and of literacy acquisition, strategies for learners and strategies for teachers, and much more. This is material you should find helpful as a teacher. A decently run CTEL prep course probably won't cover it in the depth that you'd like, but it should give you some sense of what it is that you need to learn and where you can go to learn it.

Diaz-Rico & Weed's The Crosscultural Language and Academic Development Handbook, third edition or later, is a fine resource.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Newcomer

Ca
Thank you for your response!!! I've read your other posts in response to the CTEL and have found them to be very helpful!! I found the 4th edition book that you recommended. Would that be better than the 3rd editon or can I pass the test with just the 3rd edition? It's very pricey but it has good reviews on amazon. I need to pass this test so I don't mind paying more if I have to.

Thank You
Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Just don't go as far back as the second edition, all right?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Newcomer

Ca
Funny u should post that... My son just found all his CLAD info & he found the 2nd edition of this book.. So ur saying the 2nd edition won't help me on the test & won't be sufficient to help me pass it?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
A veteran teacher whose judgment I trust had access to both editions while preparing for CTEL, and gave me to understand that that the third edition is more valuable precisely for raising the issues that teachers need to be thinking about.

This doesn't mean that the second edition wouldn't work for you, however.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Newcomer

Ca
Hi teacher groupie!! I can't seem to find the post about the ctel flash cards that someone offered.. Can u please help? Thank ya!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Frankly, you might be better off making your own, by hand: there's something about writing terminology down that can help cement it in the brain.

With that said, if you Google "ctel flashcard", you're likely to find something.

Tags
ctel, experience, needed, teacher