A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Comrade

CA
Some more resources for the CSET:

Getting Started for the CSET
Subtest I California Math Content Standards
Subtest I Algebra Prep Resources
Subtest I Abstract Algebra / Number Theory Prep Resources
Subtest I Algebra Practice Qs
Subtest I Algebra Checklist of Skills
Subtest II California Math Content Standards
Subtest II Geometry Prep Resources
Subtest II Geometry Practice Qs
Subtest II Statistics Prep Resources
Subtest II Geometry Checklist of Skills

Jay.
http://csetmathguru.weebly.com/

Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Rookie

i know you did post this awhile back but i was wondering just like everyone else...what specific books or study guides can i use to pass the cset for math? it has been very difficult and i know it can be quite frustrating any advice would help thank you.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Rookie

math cset

can you please provide me with some suggestions as to what kind of books i should read or study guides i should look into to pass the cset math exam. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
According to the Commission for Teacher Credentialing, the cumulative pass rate among Foundational-level Math credential candidates from January 2003 to July 2005 was 36.5%; the cumulative pass rate for full-on Math credential candidates was 48.5% - and even the annual pass rate for Foundational-level Math was 29.2%, which is twice as good as the lower end of the "15-20%" range.

The arguments for making CSET Math easier make no more sense to me than do the arguments for getting rid of the CBEST (which is happening, alas) and the arguments for making CSET-Multiple Subjects math easier (fortunately, not in prospect that I know of, yet, but who knows...)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Rookie

math cset

i was wondering what type of books or preparations did you take to pass the cset for math

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSalinger View Post
I majored in math, just took the CSET and passed. I think that qualifies me to say I think it is an unjustifiably difficult test. I disagree with Malcolm that it is just "high school math". Why is there a need to test understanding of polynomial rings, and field theory? And number theory? My test asked for a proof that the numbers making up an integer divisible by three sum to a number that is itself divisible by three. I was able to do that, but I fail to see how such knowledge makes one a better middle school math teacher. Yes, there were many good questions on the test. I think the test could be reduced in size by about 10 questions, and field/ring theory and number theory can be eliminated without any reduction in the effectiveness of math teachers who enter the ranks.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, alicia2222. In innovationguy's posts over the years, he's recommended Barron's Geometry the Easy Way and various of the books in the Schaum's Outlines series, plus some other books that aren't now coming to mind.

You might also consider the math videos on the Khan Academy Web site (I'm sorry I don't have the link just handy, but if you Google it, it will turn up). Other good math help sites also exist, and you can find links to them on Richard Byrne's blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com.

Tags
cset, difficulty, history, math, single, subject