A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Basic Skills Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
Keep practicing!
You can get away with that score, as long as your other 2 scores can put you in the overall passing score. If you are GREAT with the other 2 sections, then that Math one would be okay in order to pass it.
Rebel1

Old 05-18-2013, 11:58 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danij View Post
I just tried taking the cbest practice test. I got 39/50. Is this good enough? How do I know what type of scaled score this is? Thanks!
:-)
Indulge me, please, danji, while I briefly review CBEST raw and scaled scoring.

The CBEST scaled score per section runs from 20 to 80, and a full passing scaled score - again, on the scale from 20 to 80 - is 41. In other words, a passing scaled score is closer to the minimum possible score than it is to the maximum possible score.

Your 39/50 is a raw score (as you know). Translating it to an exact scaled score is complicated, for a number of reasons: for one thing, questions can differ in difficulty and therefore can be weighted differently when the scaled score is calculated; for another, 10 questions in each of the multiple-choice sections don't count (are "non-scoring") because they are being tested for inclusion in future versions of CBEST.

If we make the worst-case assumption that 10 of your 39 raw points don't count because those questions were non-scoring, that would still give you 29/40 or just under 75% of available points, which is enough to pass most teacher tests of my acquaintance.

Feeling better?
Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Rookie

Very complicated indeed. I have taken the math section many times and still not passed. I have an overall passing score, but still need math.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
What areas are giving you grief, Gennie?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Rookie

Thanks for responding TeacherGroupe. It's different each time i take it - last time the result pointed out estimation and measurement, numerical and graphical relationships.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
How far did you get in math in school?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferpaul View Post
Thanks! If anyone is reading this post let me know if you need help passing the CBEST, I have lots of extra practice packets you can review for.
Hi surferpaul! Hoping you can send me those practice packets since I need help in passing the Math section of the CBEST Thank you so much!

Tags
cbest, math