A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Student & Preservice Teachers

Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
I'm sorry things aren't going well, teacher41. Again, I urge you to think long and hard about your next plans. I know you're upset, and believe me I can't blame you, and even if you're justified, you might want to swallow your pride, be the bigger person, smile, nod and do what you're told. If not, your teaching career can be ruined forever. I didn't want to go down into the hood for my student teaching, but I had little choice--I had to do it and it wasn't so bad. You'll simply have to decide whats more important: your teaching career that you want to have--or your pride.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Multitudinous

I'm confused. So they DID offer you a placement, but it's at a school that you don't want to be placed at?

I think you're going to argue yourself out of a degree, honestly. I strongly encourage you to buck up, do what they tell you to do, and finish your degree as quietly as possible. I think that you're setting yourself up for some serious problems in the future if you continue on your current path.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
I agree with Caesar. Life isnt always fair. Also you stated in your first thread the ONLY mistake you made was the confrence, yet now in this post you also mentioned a messed up test?

Suck it up, swallow your pride and do what needs to be done.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMonkey View Post
One thing you might consider is that schools which have a 5/10 score does not necessarily mean the teachers of the school are low quality. I have found that working in a more "inner city" school taught me incredibly valuable lessons about behavior management, differentiation, planning, working with a diverse population and many more things which can not be replicated with ease in a wealthy neighborhood. I also found working in some of the more challenging schools makes a teacher wanted in the the more affluent areas because the teacher will have those valuable experiences.

Also are you positive you will not want to or need to get a job in a public school? Having student taught in one will help you get one.

I am sorry you find it frustrating they are placing you in a public school; but is there a formal agreement they will place you in private schools?

My advise would be let it go and go to the school they have placed you at. My guess is the squeaking you are doing will not work out in a positive way. There is a new program director. The school, unless it is written in the agreement for the degree, do not have to make the new program director follow the ways of the retired program director. Maybe your intent is different; but the way you feel it is so unfair that you would have to be placed in a public school and the implication you give that the teacher you will be working with is poor quality based on the rating system makes you appear snobbish and not very knowledgeable about public schools. It also makes you seem unwilling to learn from the diverse people and incomes who attend the public school system. Not something that will come across well in reference letters.
I'm just concerned that the program director intentionally ignored my school district requests and my preference for private schools, and has chosen instead to severely limit his search to just 3 school districts and only public schools. That seems like an ego driven decision to me, and his first priority should be to find me a placement, not delay my completion of the MAT program because he possibly doesn't like me. The previous program director cast a wider net for each clinical practice student, so that they would be guaranteed a placement when they needed one. She was much more flexible and I realize that comes with time, as she had her job for 35 years whereas this new program director was a former elementary school teacher who has only been in his position with my MAT program for about two years I think.

And I'm not unwilling to learn from diverse people and incomes who attend the public school system. Believe me. I have a diverse teaching background; I taught abroad in Asia for a year, and I did several field experiences in my program in inner city schools as well as public schools.

Diverse student populations don't bother me at all. Every teacher feels called to teach to a specific student population. I loved teaching abroad and would do it again if the opportunity presented itself. However, I'd prefer teaching in private schools because I'm struggling to pass college level math which is the last subtest in my state's teaching license test. If I can't pass that, then my only option for teaching jobs would be with private schools who don't require a license, or charter or Montessori schools. I would love to teach in a good school district at a middle school public school. I don't think it makes me a snob to know which kind of school environment bests suits my disposition and my interests in education, but I can see how I would come across that way to someone who feels very comfortable teaching in the inner city school environment.

To each his/her own, I think is fair to say.

At the end of the day, kids are just kids. BUT...that doesn't mean I'm a bad person if I know which student population I want to teach to.

Of course I will just accept whatever school I'm placed at this spring (if I am placed as that's still an unknown) and just try to do my best and finish. I just want to graduate this spring and be done with my program, once and for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcaligirl1985 View Post
I'm sorry things aren't going well, teacher41. Again, I urge you to think long and hard about your next plans. I know you're upset, and believe me I can't blame you, and even if you're justified, you might want to swallow your pride, be the bigger person, smile, nod and do what you're told. If not, your teaching career can be ruined forever. I didn't want to go down into the hood for my student teaching, but I had little choice--I had to do it and it wasn't so bad. You'll simply have to decide whats more important: your teaching career that you want to have--or your pride.
Like I said in my above post, I just want to be finished. I agree with you that I just need to swallow my pride, big the bigger person, smile, nod and do what I"m told. BUT...I did that this fall in a placement where I wanted to be and it still didn't pan out.

I think it depends on how willing the host/mentor teacher is to committing to a student teacher. My recent host/mentor teacher seemed on the surface to be 100% committed. But in the last meeting she said a lot of negative things about me that blindsided me and my teaching supervisor because neither of us saw it coming.

Here's what worries me about my future placement this spring; the program director has set up the communication dynamic as such that he will give the host/mentor teacher the opportunity to complain or vent to my teaching supervisor behind my back, and then my teaching supervisor is supposed to take that information and share it with me. When the program director told me he was going to allow this communication dynamic to happen, I told him I thought it was a terrible idea that was setting me up for failure. If my host/mentor teacher can't be straight with me and will go behind my back to vent frustrations or whatever, how does that build trust with me? It doesn't. So I'm very nervous because I think that's a horrible, horrible communication dynamic to set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
I'm confused. So they DID offer you a placement, but it's at a school that you don't want to be placed at?

I think you're going to argue yourself out of a degree, honestly. I strongly encourage you to buck up, do what they tell you to do, and finish your degree as quietly as possible. I think that you're setting yourself up for some serious problems in the future if you continue on your current path.

No. He did not offer me a placement Caesar. At the meeting he told me he was working on a placement for this spring, and described the three school districts and public schools he was in communication with. But no, I was not offered a placement yet. It's still up in the air at this point.

I don't think advocating for myself means that I'm setting myself for problems in the future. But I do think there is a point where advocating too much can come across negatively, and be viewed as complaining or arguing. If the dept chair had treated me with respect in the first place, not try to damage my reputation with her blatant lies which she admitted to in the meeting with myself and the dean; had they met with me the first week after my fall placement ended to let me debrief on that experience; had they met with me to tell me seven weeks ago to tell me they would have a placement for me by the spring deadline which was last week....had they followed those policies then I would never have posted here with my concerns in the first place.

I've spent 3 years and a lot of money and view my teaching license and masters as an investment that needs protection. I deserve to be treated with respect by the people in the MAT department, which wasn't the case with the dept chair which still puzzles me as I never did anything to deserve that kind of treatment. A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcaligirl1985 View Post
I agree with Caesar. Life isnt always fair. Also you stated in your first thread the ONLY mistake you made was the confrence, yet now in this post you also mentioned a messed up test?

Suck it up, swallow your pride and do what needs to be done.
The reason my fall placement was stopped was due to the parent teacher conference and my personal reaction to the angry parent. The messed up test was a minor mistake and was not mentioned as a reason by the principal or my host/mentor teacher. I brought it up because it was the only other mistake I'd made in the 7 weeks I student taught this fall.

I do plan to suck it up and just try to finish. But if I sense I'm being set up, I'm not going to allow that to happen. The whole "life isn't fair" is so cliche. A graduate degree program should be cut and dry, you apply, you get accepted, you do the work, you graduate. There shouldn't be any politics or egos from the staff that negatively effect a student's ability to complete their program. Mine isn't the first case of this happening, either. I'm just surprised that it's happened to me as I've always been a good student who follows the rules. I expect the staff in my program to do the same. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. After all, their job is to help me complete the program, not prevent me.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Phenom

Midwest
I haven't read all the posts... Maybe different when going after Master's degree, but I didn't think private schools were used for placements. When I got my degree (not Master's) we had to list our top 3 schools and they tried to place you in those. I did get my first choice, but I don't remember any of them being private schools....
Old 12-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneeTeachR View Post
I haven't read all the posts... Maybe different when going after Master's degree, but I didn't think private schools were used for placements. When I got my degree (not Master's) we had to list our top 3 schools and they tried to place you in those. I did get my first choice, but I don't remember any of them being private schools....
My MAT program allows students to choose placements in private schools as well as public or inner city schools. So yes, private schools are used for placements a lot in my MAT program, which includes a masters degree plus a teaching license in a specific content area.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
I'd hesitate to ascribe a less-than-optimal student teaching placement to animus. In many if not all states, failing to pass a basic-skills or subject-matter test by a given date means the school legally CAN'T place one for student teaching when everyone else in the cohort gets placed; if one manages to be assigned at a slightly later date, fewer slots may remain unfilled. Furthermore, it's not unheard-of for student-teaching slots to disappear because, say, the reliable master/cooperating teacher is on an unanticipated leave, has been reassigned out of the classroom to cover a vacancy elsewhere, or is otherwise legitimately unavailable to serve.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
I'm getting lost in all of the details. But, I think you mentioned getting high scores during student teaching and then citing them as 2s and 3s. Those 2s aren't high scores.

The way you approach questions and criticisms here, on this forum, comes across as more than advocating for yourself. It comes across as argumentative and nit-picky. You don't let a single detail slip by. That's a good quality ... sometimes. But, sometimes, one just needs to chill and let things fall into place.

I think of all of the things, at my school, that I could I could raise a stink over (it's not fair, it doesn't make sense, that's not what you said the first time, blah blah) but if I focused on all of those things I would not be able to do the most important part of my job: teach students. AND, I work in a GREAT school. But, I learned early on that the school decisions don't start with, "well, what would KU_Alum think?" It's about an organization working, and I don't know every detail of the organization, nor do I want to. I trust my leaders to do right, and most of the time I think they do. When I think they don't, I suck it up and go along with it.

I worry about your future in education ... it is NOT a cut and dry, black and white world. I worry you will "fall on your sword" so to speak over something that the rest of us would just say, "oh well, that sucks, but whatever."
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku_alum View Post
I'm getting lost in all of the details. But, I think you mentioned getting high scores during student teaching and then citing them as 2s and 3s. Those 2s aren't high scores.

The way you approach questions and criticisms here, on this forum, comes across as more than advocating for yourself. It comes across as argumentative and nit-picky. You don't let a single detail slip by. That's a good quality ... sometimes. But, sometimes, one just needs to chill and let things fall into place.

I think of all of the things, at my school, that I could I could raise a stink over (it's not fair, it doesn't make sense, that's not what you said the first time, blah blah) but if I focused on all of those things I would not be able to do the most important part of my job: teach students. AND, I work in a GREAT school. But, I learned early on that the school decisions don't start with, "well, what would KU_Alum think?" It's about an organization working, and I don't know every detail of the organization, nor do I want to. I trust my leaders to do right, and most of the time I think they do. When I think they don't, I suck it up and go along with it.

I worry about your future in education ... it is NOT a cut and dry, black and white world. I worry you will "fall on your sword" so to speak over something that the rest of us would just say, "oh well, that sucks, but whatever."
I agree with you...people who "fall on your sword" become the people that others avoid. I don't want to be lumped with them or listen to them!

Tags
complaint, file, formal