A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 11-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Just curious...what's the 'P' word?

Old 11-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Guru

To me, the P word is...well, think cat. Used as in, "Stop being p*ssies and do your job." I hope not, though...absolutely hate that word!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Cohort

5th Grade Teacher
maybe it's the one that rhymes with miss?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
If you hadn't mentioned the technology, I'd think you were at my school! I'm in almost the exact same situation. The admin last year was apparently awful, and they'd been there for several years. In fact, two of my teammates are missing a week of school in January to testify on behalf of a teacher in a case that has made it all the way up to federal court against the previous principal for harassment and discrimination.

I truly believe that the new P is doing what she thinks is right. However, she is just simply awful at it. People last year were afraid to do anything outside of exactly what the curriculum said. So she's trying to get people to "think for themselves." That sounds great...but the problem is, she doesn't like what anyone comes up with. Teachers are using great research based strategies, she completely bashes them for it, and then refuses to tell them what they should actually do instead because they should "come up with it on their own." I've heard all of the comments you mentioned in staff meetings. Her justification is that we're on a priority improvement plan (for the state b/c of testing) and that we can't just keep doing the same things. She won't respect any ideas that the older teachers have because "obviously they didn't work, or we wouldn't be on a priority plan." She made us start doing these ridiculously long lesson plans for common core, and when one of my teammates complained that it took her four hours just to do one lesson (she doesn't really know how to type), the P's response was that we should be spending that much time planning. The attitude she has with people is simply awful. Then she'll send out e-mails (for documentation, I'm guessing) that sound sickly sweet after she's just had a fit in a staff meeting. Our other problem is that she has a "favorite" team that apparently meets all of their expectations. They're all very young and they literally do nothing but work, work, work all day/night, weekends, etc. I'm young too, but I refuse to spend my whole life on work and the rest of my team is older. So when the union bring up issues of how she treats people or that her expectations are unrealistic, all she has to do is say, "but ___ grade did it! If they can, why can't you?"

I'm lucky that I work on the best team. We really look out for each other. Our morale as a whole school though is very low. The P was trying to set up a Christmas party and my team has already decided that we're just going to do our own little thing for just the four of us instead. I've heard some other teams saying the same thing. No one is interested in doing anything outside of school that they don't have to!

I've been documenting all year and I'm already figuring out who I can get letters of rec from and what to do for next year. I know people have tried to look for other jobs, but there just isn't anything open mid-year. We're in the most competitive part of the state for jobs. I think a lot of people would leave now if they could afford it. The school lost a ton of teachers last year and the new superintendent is gung-ho on preventing that, so the union reps think that they'll finally understand how the P is if so many people leave, but I think she's just going to make it out like she's getting rid of "bad teachers" and not that they left on their own, so I am planning ahead.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Newcomer

Thank you so much for the responses, everyone. They are greatly appreciate! To answer a few questions:
Quote:
Can you move to another building? Is there no union representation at all? How do the parents feel about this P?
If I wanted to move to a new building, I would have to see where there are openings next year, apply, and interview. We can't just move from building to building. There is union representation, and I am going to talk to my building's rep to see if anything can be done (or at least documented). Maybe someone from the union can at least contact the P, explaining that teachers were upset with the language used? The parents love the P, as far as I know.

Quote:
Do your team members teach the same subjects and grade level as you? If so, I would talk with them about dividing tasks and conquering them so that you can get more finished.
Yes, they do. I honestly don't feel TOO overwhelmed, as far as planning is concerned. This year is way better than last year. Most of the stuff that is overwhelming to me is all of the new trainings and technology, which each person has to do individually. Also, my team doesn't really agree on instructional strategies, so planning would be tough. Our classrooms are all so different.

Quote:
I would also avoid putting too much stock in your coworkers' opinions. If "some" of them--plural--were considering suicide because the previous principal was bad, I really have to question their hold on sanity and reality. That's obviously a very extreme reaction to an unpleasant work situation. Anyone who would go to those sorts of lengths to deal with low morale at work clearly has some internal issues to work out.
Yes, the people (or person...I have heard different things) that were considering such extreme measures are also the people who have had depression issues, family issues, etc. I agree that it is extreme, but they were also the victims of some intense "I'm going to make your life a living H***" bullying. It was really bad, so when I heard this, it honestly didn't surprise me.

Quote:
Just curious...what's the 'P' word?
Yes, it's the one that rhymes with "miss." Not a horrible word, but I didn't think we could type it on here.

JustMe-Looking back now, I wish I (or at least someone) would have walked out of the meeting. Honestly, I think we were all just completely shocked. I looked around the room, and people were frozen. It was pretty uncharacteristic of my P.

Waterfall-I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a horrible experience, as well. Keep us updated!

Overall, I like my P, and we get along really well. This meeting just really bothered me. I just want to work in a school where the atmosphere is fun, non-threatening, and where everyone loves their job. I have yet to run into a school like that.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Guru

Oh, well I'm glad he didn't use the word I thought he used...but what he said wasn't appropriate either. Best wishes!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
Your P sounds unprofessional and not appreciative. This school is bringing you down. I would be looking for another school to teach at.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
I'm going to follow up my last post by adding this: in our last staff meeting our P was going on about she has the best staff at the school (we are K-12, so each section has its own P). I think that's exactly what administrators should be saying/doing. The better we feel about where we are, the more we feel appreciated, then the better we will perform.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiJ View Post
I'm going to follow up my last post by adding this: in our last staff meeting our P was going on about she has the best staff at the school (we are K-12, so each section has its own P). I think that's exactly what administrators should be saying/doing. The better we feel about where we are, the more we feel appreciated, then the better we will perform.
That sounds awesome! Too bad more P's aren't like that.

Tags
morale, problems, school, worried