A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 11-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Groupie

Costa Rica
Science
I do all the above things. Sometimes I'll go "I'll wait", dramatically put the cap on my marker or go sit at my desk. Other times I start writing tally marks on the board. They know that for every tally mark that means one minute they have to stay after class. That shuts them up pretty quick!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Rookie

Pathum Thani, Thailand
These are great suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. The reason for my uncertainty is that I've been reading resources such as Lee Canter's Assertive Discipline, but he doesn't differentiate much regarding minor infractions and medium infractions...but it just seemed a bit much to give them consequences each time they whispered/talked a bit. You all have cleared it up a bit more for me, thanks.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Rookie

Denver, CO
Middle School Teacher
Hey,
I adapted this technique from Fred Jones' book, Tools for Teaching.

When you're talking, are you at the front of the classroom, or do you walk around? If you can, rearrange your desks so that you can move freely--that is the first step to putting a cap on whispering.

When students talk while I'm talking, I take several steps.
1) I walk toward the students as I'm lecturing/talking and they usually stop talking and make eye-contact. You'll find that the more you walk around your classroom and use proximity (aka being close to your students), the less chatter you have.

2) If I'm across the room and need the behavior to stop right away, I'll say their names as I'm teaching or speaking, then give a meaningful look--usually this is followed by moving closer to the students. Example: "The house is a symbol, Alexia and Jacob, in the House on Mango Street because..." This almost ALWAYS gets them to look immediately at you and stops the behavior, especially if you hang out in their general vicinity for a moment or two afterwards.

3) If they continue to talk while I'm talking, that's when I call them out explicitly on their behavior: Jacob and Alexia, stop talking.

I've only once had students continue after this third step--I told them to see me either after class, during lunch, or after school and changed where they were sitting.

Also, if the entire class is talking, I'll start counting upwards--five seconds... ten seconds... fifteen seconds... for as long as it takes to get them to settle down (it's usually no more than 10 seconds these days). I then allow them to earn that time back by being fantastic students--but if they don't, that's how long the entire class has to wait after the bell rings.

Give it a try--and I highly, highly recommend picking up Fred Jones' "Tools for Teaching." That book has been a management life-saver.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Cohort

Jos, Nigeria
High School Teacher
All the above usually work, but there are a few recalcitrants who just think that somehow what they have to say to their friend has to be said NOW... I pretty much do all the above (walk around the classroom, the Stare, etc) but a few times when a large class has been very hard to keep quiet I've told them each time I have to "Shh" I'm putting a mark on the board and the entire class will get a point off of their daily work. That usually works very well.

One or two have said "Can't you just penalize the ones talking" and I tell them there are too many and I can't interrupt the class in order to make a list.

If it is one person over and over, I give them a mark that counts like a "tardy": 3 such marks and they have detention.

Yes, it is human nature to talk and there really isn't a "cure" but you can control it so that you can teach and they can learn.

Last edited by Silmarienne; 11-21-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Rookie

Pathum Thani, Thailand
I know this thread is getting a bit old, but I have a few questions...the taking off points sounds pretty good, though I do have a few qualms about taking academic points off for behavior. The "holding kids for x amount of minutes" would work nicely, but I can't really do that, as the kids only have 5 minutes in between classes (that may prevent them from being able to use the restroom or drink water, etc.). One suggestion from a coworker was that he made the whole class write lines if he had to "shush" the class more than twice. I just did a sit in observation of his class today and they were very attentive and policed themselves quite well. Have any of you implemented class-wide writing for excessive talking? Any input?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I would not take academic points off for behavior. For me those don't mix. Usually if a student is misbehaving they won't complete their work assignment properly because they don't have time or don't pay attention. There are always a few who do all their work beautifully and have time to misbehave. They might get an A in academic grade and a D in behavior, and that's ok.

I also don't like to have the students write lines. And I don't like to punish the whole class for a few students' behavior, although in some situations I found it to be effective.

Instead of holding them for a few minutes after class I would give them a 30 minute detention. Do they think it's unfair? Well, then don't act up again next time.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Pathum Thani, Thailand
Well, I can't rightly give the ENTIRE class detention...or can I? A few talkers I can handle, it's when they are all doing it together that it gets to be a problem. I have my attention-getting signal,and it does work, but only temporarily...one thing I have thought is that...once getting them quiet with the signal...someone has to be the first to start it up (talking) again...if I can pinpoint them, and slam them with a warning/consequence, perhaps that be enough of a warning to the others to pre-empt a continual talking insurrection. Just a thought...
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeofAppalachi View Post
Well, I can't rightly give the ENTIRE class detention...or can I? A few talkers I can handle, it's when they are all doing it together that it gets to be a problem. I have my attention-getting signal,and it does work, but only temporarily...one thing I have thought is that...once getting them quiet with the signal...someone has to be the first to start it up (talking) again...if I can pinpoint them, and slam them with a warning/consequence, perhaps that be enough of a warning to the others to pre-empt a continual talking insurrection. Just a thought...
You don't want to 'slam' kids. Do it privately or discreetly. The student will feel like you care about keeping his consequences private, and other students will catch on anyway.

Tags
lessons, managing, whispering or talking