A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Cohort

Alaska
Kindergarten Teacher
Language processing issue, or what?

I have a Kinder who I started to suspect had hearing problems.

Mentioned it to mom and she got an appointment for a hearing screening right away. Doctor said his hearing is fine though.

Examples of some issues:

Me: You can go into the class
Kid: (nods, stays still)
Me: Go ahead..
Kid: (opens his eyes wide) hmm?
Me: Go in the class.
Kid: (points to class)
Me: (nodding) Yes. Go in.

He seems like he has a good vocabulary so I don't think it's that he wouldn't understand the simple words I'm using. He's also very good at following complicated directions with visual cues.

One more example:

(Kid's reading on the carpet)
Me: Come here. (after calling his name 3 times)
Kid: (Stands up, starts walking toward the book shelf.)
Me: (Call his name a couple more times so he'll look at me) No, come here.
Kid: Hm?
Me: Come here please (motioning toward myself)
Kid: (comes over) Read books?
Me: No, could you hear what I said? (speaking very slow and clear)
Kid: Sit down?

He has speech problems as well, and has a hard time repeating back what is said to him, if it makes any difference (doesn't say g, k, or th sounds in words, even though he can make those sounds if prompted).

Our SpEd teacher is pretty useless, so thought I'd come on here first to see if anyone had any idea what this could be. Mom thinks it's "selective hearing" but I think it's definitely more than that..

Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
He's not an ELL kiddo is he?

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
It could be CAPD

But it is difficult to test for it until around age 7
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 AM
Comrade

midwest
Upper Elementary Teacher
If it's 'selective hearing' then I think he would hear and understand you pretty well if you offer something he wants or wants to do.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Cohort

Alaska
Kindergarten Teacher
Thanks bros, I'll look into CAPD some more.

Lol Comaba.. I'll have to test that out.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Aficionado

USA
Could be a variety of issues, from lack of understanding of vocabulary, difficulty with directional words, issues with attention, behavioral issues, etc. I might start by sitting down with him 1 on 1, teaching/ensuring knowledge of all words, and asking very simple tasks such as "touch blue" when presented with a red and blue card, or "give me the pencil" when you have a pencil, piece of paper, and toy on the desk. If he's not successful, you might try offering a reward for success. If you notice that he's able to do those basic tasks, you might try working with him 1 on 1 with some of the tasks you've noticed that he's failed before, but just with the two of you (or a third person) in the room. If he's not successful, practice that a few times, possibly even with holding his hand and helping him complete the tasks. Notice if he learns how to complete the tasks you're asking him to do. If so, it may be helpful to do some more intensive training with basic commands, vocab (including directional words), etc. If you notice that he's able to do those tasks when in an isolated setting, but struggles with the rest of the class there, it may be more indicative of a behavioral or attentional issue, especially if he's able to re-demonstrate the skill later on when the class is no longer present.

These are all just quick suggestions and ideas. If you've tried a few of these things and they work, awesome. If they don't work, I'd refer for an evaluation as the level of assessment that would need to be done is definitely beyond the training that a classroom teacher would have.

Tags
issue, language, processing