A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Rookie

va
No, I'm really not. Every now and then, if a novel gets my attention, I can't put in down, and then I end up getting the sequels as well. However, I do work full time, and tend to be more of a tv person. I have been learning alot about American Literature, but working just does not leave much time for anything else. I'd really like to change my life, but now I'm afraid that it may just be too late. I just don't know what to study or how hard to study it.
I'm getting frustrated.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Hugs; I didn't mean to jostle a scar.

The individual histories of the various literatures are important - but, those aside, it's pretty much the case that the tools of literary analysis don't vary from literature to literature, genre to genre, or even really medium to medium. In other words, TV will do nicely, actually: if you make a point of looking out for aspects of dramatization that remind you of elements of literature, you can even count some of your TV-watching time as study time. (Advertisements are terrific for identifying bandwagon vs. endorsement and so on.)

Those tools don't much vary from state to state, either. In the sticky thread "Elmer's English resources", toward the beginning, there are some glossaries that can be helpful for most states' English-teacher tests, though they happen to have been inspired by one state's. Any term that you don't already know, look up: my favorite tool for the purpose is Answers.com, because it doesn't dredge up Web sites, it dredges up... um, answers. (These include answers from Wikipedia, which absolutely shines for this purpose.)

Somewhere in this forum there are a couple of poems posted for literary-analysis target practice. Feel free to rummage them up and play with them.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Newcomer

La.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504girl View Post
Hi I am trying to pass the praxis ii 0041 & 0043. I have taken 0041 twice. I live in Louisiana and need a score of 160 to pass.
First time-150
Second time-146
I have been studying and really do not know what else to do. I am orginally a business major and decided to go the alt route to become certified in secondary english. I am not allowed to student teach this semester because I could not pass praxis ii content knowledge.

Do you know of any good suggested reading list? Also, do you have any recommendations on what materials would be best for me to study?

I really need all the help I can get, I need to pass this exam. I am starting to feel a bit depressed because I have already failed twice. Please Help!!!!!

I AM IN THE EXACT SAME BOAT YOU ARE IN. BUSINESS DEGREE.. TEACHING SEC ENGLISH NOW. I MUST PASS 0041 BY THE END OF JAN 2013 OR I LOSE MY JOB. ANYONE PLEASE HELP. I HAVE TAKEN IT TWICE. 154 BOTH TIMES
Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Newcomer

Va
VA new praxis 2 English 5038

Hi everyone, this is my first time actually writing in the forum but I've been reading it for quote a while. I am a teacher in VA I already have my license in secondary social studies and I am thinking of adding English as an endorsement. I took the 0041 test in September and missed passing by 1 point 171...grrrrr I took a bit of time and devices to take it again I was signed up to take the test tomorrow but I've come to find out that VA no longer accepts the 0041 test and that now you have to take the 5038 test. Here's the thing I cannot find much info on that exam!!! The only thing I've seen is an ebook on the ets website for $22 whoa that's a lot especially for something I can't even hold in my hands. So basically after lots of rambling I'm wondering if anyone out there might know of a resource I could use or possibly what kind of difference there are between the 2 tests. I took a short 25 question quiz on the ets site and only missed 2 questions so I guess that's a step in the right direction hopefully someone sees this and can help out
Old 04-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
The best and cheapest way to figure out the difference between the two tests is to download the Tests at a Glance doc for 0041 and the Test Companion doc for 5038, dig through the Test Companion till you find the point at which it starts looking like the Tests at a Glance, and then compare and contrast the two docs' listings of topics covered.

All Praxis exams whose numbers begin with 0 are paper-based; all Praxis exams whose numbers begin with 5 are computer-based. Beyond that, I seem to recall that 0041 is a content-knowledge test, which means it's solely multiple choice; one would want to know, and the docs I've mentioned will specify, whether 5038 is multiple-choice only or includes constructed -response elements. The two tests are likely to differ more in form and delivery, and possibly in emphases, than they do in content per se.

Let me also recommend leafing through threads here that are oriented to other states' English tests.

Tags
0041, 0043, praxis