A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Cohort

Alaska
Kindergarten Teacher
How many can READ this time of year?

About what percentage of your class can read (CVC words, at least), at this time of year?

I have about 5 kids who still can't sound out words (some who can't even name the first sound in a word yet), and I'm obsessing about it.

I feel like by now I'm a pretty good teacher and my kids get all kinds of small group and 1:1 time, but some just take so so long to pick things up.

Just want to hear if this is normal so I don't have to stress about it so much. I've taught 5 years but this is only my 3rd with Kinder.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
My group started really low this year. I also have several that still can't decode a word. I was very depressed doing sight word testing with them, many are not where they should be in that regard either. I feel like for some, it just starts to kick in February/March-ish.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I have 3 out of my 21 who cannot sound out CVC words yet. Most still need support and to sound out one or two words at a time.

All of mine can say the first sound in a word (so long as they know that letter). I have 2 who cannot recognize the sound and name of all capital letters and a handful still working on the name and sound of some lowercase letters.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Back when I taught kinder, every year I would have a handful (around 4-5 kids) who still struggled at this time of the year. And then, a few of them would all of a sudden start to make huge strides around March (like someone else said). I've had to retain kids in the past. You do your best, but sometimes, they just aren't developmentally ready yet.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Cohort

Alaska
Kindergarten Teacher
OK, thanks for the replies! This makes me feel better!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I'm sure hoping that my few makes strides in Feb/Mar. It's hard because for the most part, they won't even talk.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Cohort

Alaska
Kindergarten Teacher
Improving my guided reading

I really need to work on this. I have a mid and high group that are reading, but I want them ACTUALLY reading books more.

It's hard because most of the designated guided reading books I've got in sets for this level are super predictable and take literally 30 seconds to read.

I haven't found any where kids actually have to sound out a lot of words, that increase gradually in skill level (ie first it's just CVC and pre-primer words, then CVCe is added, etc.)

If you know of any sets like that I could buy I'd love to hear them.

Then, independent reading. I used to have my kids have book bags that they could read through, but even with 6 or 7 books, it takes them 2 or 3 minutes to get through them and then they're bored. And changing out books, etc takes forever!

I've read so many books on guided reading and haven't found much that's actually useful.

If anyone out there thinks they have an awesome guided reading program, please tell me how you do it!

Tags
read, time, year