A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPigeon View Post
She is currently in an I/J group (her independent level is an I, and her instructional level is a J). The other 2 students in her group tend to do a better job with decoding, but they also struggle with cross-checking. Comprehension is their biggest struggle. I do have one lower group, but they are reading at a level F, which would be too low for her.

And thanks for the suggestion, Tasha! That may work for me.
You definitely know your students best, so she may indeed not fit with that lower group, but I would definitely consider basing group placement on skill deficits rather than just on guided reading group level. You could have 2 kids on the same level, but with different skill deficits, so when you go to work on those skills kids don't match.

Interestingly as a side note, the whole idea of "text complexity" in common core I think is challenging folks to remember that there are different instructional levels within the realm of "reading" broadly defined. You might have one instructional level for comprehension, one for decoding, one for passage reading, etc. So, basing group placement and instruction on an instructional level for reading fluency may not work if the target skill is decoding.

You probably have thought of this already, but thought it might be worth throwing out there

Tags
allaround, struggling, student