A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Novice

Florida
6-hour schedule for VPK/Pre-Kindergarten?

Hello, everyone. So a few weeks ago, I told you guys that I was offered a job as a VPK teacher, but I was then informed that I was only hired under the possibility of becoming a VPK teacher. I had originally decided to go with this particular company. However, when I went to do my livescreening background check, the agency responsible lost my results for two and a half weeks. So my position was given to someone else.

Well, then they wanted me to become a floater for a center that was 28 miles away from me one-way. However, I do not have reliable transportation for going that far. So on a whim, I decided to apply to other VPK position jobs. Within the same day, I received a call for an immediate interview and offered a job the same day. I accepted the job the next day.

This center just opened in in January. They want to start VPK some time this month or the beginning of next month. Well, the VPK room is a mess, so I have to decorate it and rearrange it. I was also given the curriculum. I have no idea what progress the children are at because it is already February. So I was going to do an assessment to see where I should begin. However in the meanwhile because the program is starting so late, we are doing 6-hour days instead of the usual 3 or 4. I need help with the schedule. Class starts at 8:00 - 2:00 or 8:30 - 2:30. Lunch is at 11 or 11:30 (I forgot). No naptime.

Can anyone suggest a schedule?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Companion

Long Island and CT
Preschool Teacher
8:30-9:30 Sign In and Warm Up (free Play)
9:30-10:00 Morning Meeting
10:00-10:45 Centers
10:45-11:00 Clean up centers
11:00 Bathroom/ wash hands
11:00-11:30 (if lunch is then) Lunch
11:30-11:45 Independent reading (kids read books on their own)
11:45-12:15 Story Time (you read book based on curriculum)
12:15-12:45 Group Work (curriculum, projects)
12:45-1:15 Music and Movement
1:15-1:45 Free Play
1:45-2:00 Dismissal

now I don't know when you go outside and play that also needs to be added. How many students are you going to have? You need to make a mock schedule and then once you get to know the kids you can tweak it. I actually just started a job as a pre-k teacher last week. There is already two other teachers, but I am slowly "taking" over the class and fixing what she messed up since September. Good luck if you need any more advice let me know .What curriculum are they using?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Novice

Florida
Thank you so much! That is a great schedule. We are actually are using two curriculums. ELLM Plus and the Creative Curriculum, but the director doesn't want me to follow those curriculums to a science. She wants me to use them as guides to create my lesson plans because we are starting so late in the school year.

I have no idea where these kids were prior to them joining this preschool before it opened. So that is why I have to assess them. I didn't expect to be hired this school year. I honestly thought I was going to start next school year. So I am kind of at a loss because most curriculums go by month and because it's February and we will probably start at the end of this month and the beginning of the next, I have no idea where to start.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
Creative Curriculum is really a guide, so it will work great. I have never heard of ELLM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:45 AM
Novice

Florida
Yes, it is a guide. I am so used to seeing a curriculum filled with lesson plans like ELLM is. ELLM is a great curriculum though, you should definitely look it up, Blue. It is used a lot down here in Florida. I am not sure if it is just in Florida alone though.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Novice

Florida
Found out some more information today. The program is from 8:30 - 2:30. Lunch is at 11:30. Outside play is at 10:30 - 11:00. 11:00 - 11:30 is washing hands and bathroom before lunch.

Tags
6hour, schedule, vpk or prekindergarten