A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 12-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Newcomer

Illinois
Middle School Teacher
How the heck do first year teachers "survive" their experiences? When they are that awful?

Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Comrade

High School Teacher
fwiw, it sounds like you are in your first "real" job after college. You are struggling with the transition to a leadership role. Everyone wants to be "liked". However that can't and won't happen when you are in a position of authority. Give up the desire to be "liked" or "respected" or "____" (fill in the blank here). Teach the kids to the best of your ability and stick it out. You will be glad you did.There are no easy jobs that are fulfilling.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Comrade

New York
i suggest you read "tools for teaching" by fred jones. It will help with your classroom management. once you get that done most of the problems will seem to fade. tomorrow is never to late to establish a strong leadership role within your classroom, it may be harder than doing it the first day but it's not impossible. best of luck, try not to give up, sometimes the grass on the other side just SEEMS greener but it's really the lens youre looking for that is smudged
Old 12-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Personally, I think middle school is the hardest place to start. While a change of grades will not solve all your challenges with teaching, it might be one step in the right direction.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Newcomer

Texas
High School Teacher
I am in my first year of teaching as well. I constantly feel like I am struggling to keep my head above water. However, I know it is going to get better. Most teachers that you talk with tell you the first year is difficult. No matter how much you read or observe or students teach, there is no preparation equivalent to being in your own classroom.

I teach seventh, ninth, tenth, and eleventh grade. Students are sometimes disrespectful and flat out mean; however, you have to remember that you may the teacher that changes that for them.

Do not give up! You went into teaching for a reason.

Tags
struggling, teacher, year