A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Multiple Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Rookie

TEXAS
Generalist EC6

Hi All

I am doing my alternative teachers certification program and almost finishing up now I have to take my

TEXES exam (which I signed up for EC6 since I want to teach elementary)
If anyone can tell me how was the exam and what should I do to get good grades on it.

Also please tell me any other exams that I need to take line wise (1, 2, 3...) so I know what is next on my list.

Thanks a lot
Maira

Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, mairak, and welcome to the Multiple Subject Tests subforum!

Your thread got moved because the test you're taking isn't a basic skills (reading, writing, math) test but rather a test of content knowledge in domains (=subject areas) commonly taught in elementary school. You should find a number of other threads on TExES EC-4, and perhaps we'll also see a good discussion growing here.

The sequence in which one takes teacher tests varies from state to state.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Rookie

TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
Welcome to A to Z, mairak, and welcome to the Multiple Subject Tests subforum!

Your thread got moved because the test you're taking isn't a basic skills (reading, writing, math) test but rather a test of content knowledge in domains (=subject areas) commonly taught in elementary school. You should find a number of other threads on TExES EC-4, and perhaps we'll also see a good discussion growing here.

The sequence in which one takes teacher tests varies from state to state.
Thanks yes I am new that's why posted it at a wrong place still getting use to of this. I hope I get answers... I can't seem to search on things I am looking for like the Exam I am about to take. If you can help me with that.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Have you looked at the preparation manual that can be downloaded from the TExES Web site? That lists the competencies that can be tested and gives a sampling of questions that can be asked, and it's a good place to start.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Rookie

TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
Have you looked at the preparation manual that can be downloaded from the TExES Web site? That lists the competencies that can be tested and gives a sampling of questions that can be asked, and it's a good place to start.
yes I did look there. What is a PPR exam? do I have to take that before or after.
I am so lost in how many exam I actually need to take?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
For that, you need input from the Texans.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Companion

Texas
7th grade ELA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mairak View Post
yes I did look there. What is a PPR exam? do I have to take that before or after.
I am so lost in how many exam I actually need to take?
Thanks in advance.
Going through an ACP, you will take the PPR exam after you get hired by a district. You have to pass your credentialing exam first. I am going through Texas Teachers and have passed my Generalist 4-8 and ESL test while trying to find a full time position. I'm also looking to add EC-6 since I really prefer to work in an elementary school.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Companion

Texas
9th Grade World Geography
ACP is Alternative Certification Program. I went through a company called ACT. If you're not working full time, I suggest you start subbing. You can make contacts, get some perspective, and make a little extra money.

You have to pass the PPR within your first year as a teacher, I believe. Both the EC-4 and PPR are mostly about determining a child's developmental level. Where in Texas are you?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
I took the EC-4 before they changed it to EC-6.
After you pass this, your professors will let you know about all that you need to do.
The computerized one was the one that I passed.
You really have to know your stuff, IF you want to pass it.
I used one of the study books that was pushed by my teachers, BUT to be honest with you, I did not study the whole book. It just boils down to; DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT YOU LEARNED WHILE IN THOSE GRADES? It was a LOT of studying and memorizing some of the competencies, for me. Math and Science was a piece of cake, BUT the other stuff I had to drill myself to learn and remember. Study like you've never studied before, IF you are serious about passing it the 1st time. See the materials as HOW will it benefit your students. I did a couple of answers as; IF IN DOUBT, pick C!
Make yourself some flash cards, and get the info stored in your brain!
Good luck,
Rebel1
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Rookie

TEXAS
thanks a lot! yea I took it and did not pass it so I am kinda sad about that but I didn't really study that much because I thought it would be easy but guess I don't remember much from those grades so now I am studying hopefully I will pass it this time.
***keeping my fingers crossed*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
I took the EC-4 before they changed it to EC-6.
After you pass this, your professors will let you know about all that you need to do.
The computerized one was the one that I passed.
You really have to know your stuff, IF you want to pass it.
I used one of the study books that was pushed by my teachers, BUT to be honest with you, I did not study the whole book. It just boils down to; DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT YOU LEARNED WHILE IN THOSE GRADES? It was a LOT of studying and memorizing some of the competencies, for me. Math and Science was a piece of cake, BUT the other stuff I had to drill myself to learn and remember. Study like you've never studied before, IF you are serious about passing it the 1st time. See the materials as HOW will it benefit your students. I did a couple of answers as; IF IN DOUBT, pick C!
Make yourself some flash cards, and get the info stored in your brain!
Good luck,
Rebel1

Tags
ec6, generalist