A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Comrade

Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyr View Post
I started researching how much the aides around here get paid, and you're right...it sucks :-(

I'm definitely going to look into the summer programs. I would even volunteer, I'll do anything just to get a foot in the door.

I currently teach/coach in a different district than the one that I want to get to. I want to get into the Northside ISD in my town (it's the district I grew up in),and it's the 4th largest district in Texas. I suppose I could look into middle school openings for what I currently teach (technology) and coaching bball/vball. Do you think that if I took a job at a middle school in a new district, that it would be easy to move to Kindergarten from there down the road? How often do districts tend to let teachers switch grades like that?

I'm starting graduation school for an Early Childhood Education degree in January. My bachelors was in Accounting, lol, so it was completely unrelated.
I really don't know if teaching at a middle school would help you get in the door. I teach in an extremely small public school district in Pennyslvania where we only have 1 elementary school and a combination middle/high school. We only graduate about 60 kids in an entire class each year!!! Therefore, everyone knows everybody. I am not really sure how these big districts handle moving from one buiding to another.

Since you haven't even started you EC degree yet you have some time. I am sure in the process of earning your degree you will be out and about in local elementary schools observing and doing projects. Try to make the most of those experiences and make good contacts. The fact that you have experience in technology will actually help you. Even at the kindergarten level the kids are exposed to and expected to use technology. Your current teaching experience with technology will be a plus.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Habitué

Kindergarten
Honestly...just jump on in!!! I had a chance to volunteer in K while in HS which was the best experience. Try to get into some K classes here and there if possible. I'm not sure what size school you are in, but could you do some collaborative projects with your 7th graders and the K kids? Your kids could create some tech projects for the kids (books, games, etc.) and then the kids could try them out. These little guys LOVE seeing the "big kids". Summer jobs with young kiddos are good. Talk to your P about some summer tutoring opportunities or camps you could get into to help you get familiar with the little ones.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by myKroom View Post
Honestly...just jump on in!!! I had a chance to volunteer in K while in HS which was the best experience. Try to get into some K classes here and there if possible. I'm not sure what size school you are in, but could you do some collaborative projects with your 7th graders and the K kids? Your kids could create some tech projects for the kids (books, games, etc.) and then the kids could try them out. These little guys LOVE seeing the "big kids". Summer jobs with young kiddos are good. Talk to your P about some summer tutoring opportunities or camps you could get into to help you get familiar with the little ones.
I'm scared to let the principal at my middle school know that I want to teach kindergarten... Since I coach 2 sports and teach technology, that means she might have to hire more than just one person to replace me, or else another teacher here will have to coach those 2 sports. I'm nervous! When teachers make a grade switch like this, do they usually let their P know?? Well, in my case it might be a tiny bit more complicated too because I also want to switch to the district by my house

The idea of having my 7th graders help out at an elementary school in this area sounds so good!!! We have an elementary school directly across the street from us, so we could literally walk there! I taught my students earlier this year how to make a math game in excel, and the funny thing is that we used elementary level math, since my focus was on them learning the formatting skills for Excel. I could have them make a better one, now that they know what they are doing. It was a little game where you have a simple multiplication problem (which I could switch to basic addition, 1+1, 1+2, etc.), and you have to type the correct answer in the right spot to reveal a segment of a picture. If you answer them all correctly, you get to see the surprise picture, which could be anything.

Sorry...I'm starting to type way too much because I'm excited about this idea you gave me! I teach a semester class, so in 2 weeks we will leave for xmas break, and in January I will have all new kids. This is something I will probably do with my next semester class. Although.....I might have time in the next 2 weeks....

Thank you!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Habitué

Kindergarten
Maybe talk to the K teachers across the street and see if there is a program or website they would like your kids to teach the K kids about too. That may be a good place for your kids to start building relationships with the little ones (and you as well). Maybe do something once per month and build on things as you go!

If you bring up the idea of partnering with a younger grade to your P it would allow you to go about it covertly (so to speak) then they don't have to know your ulterior motives!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by myKroom View Post
Maybe talk to the K teachers across the street and see if there is a program or website they would like your kids to teach the K kids about too. That may be a good place for your kids to start building relationships with the little ones (and you as well). Maybe do something once per month and build on things as you go!

If you bring up the idea of partnering with a younger grade to your P it would allow you to go about it covertly (so to speak) then they don't have to know your ulterior motives!
I love this idea! I sent one of the VPs an email asking about this. I thought the same thing, that it would be a shady little way for me to get into the K classrooms

Shadyness aside, it will be a good experience for my 7th graders also.

Tags
kindergarten, learn