A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Comrade

In regards to standard school-participation? No.

In regards to extra-curricular things? Yes.

That's in regards to public schools.

A private school has further discretion on whether or not to remove the student, as punishment, from the school in general.

---

All of that said. I don't believe any kid is a lost cause. I would want them to be held accountable and change their ways, definitely. However, I really dislike how this article has captured all of their posts and seems to want to keep it in permanent memory.

Let them apologize, learn, and move on.

Clearly their rearing environments have been toxic. No one disagrees with that (except those that...support the vile racism). We need to at least give these kids a chance to escape said environment and make it on their own before we effectively tarnish their images for life.

That said, I'm not against punishment. I am, however, against never allowing these kids to redeem themselves and become better people. There have been plenty of racist teenagers, raised in homes where that was the only way to live - and they overcame the odds and eventually became great, caring adults.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
My child goes to a private school, and our state is one of the states that has legalized same sex marriage (a heated topic during the last election). My son, who is pretty normal in nearly every way, is a 7th grader who has chosen to take hip hop lessons rather than play a ball sport. This lead to phrases being shouted at recess like "get out of here, we don't allow perverts and f*gs to play football". He was upset, and sent to the counselors office. Being uncomfortable, especially given the churches views on the subject of same sex marriage he told the staff he was "being disrespected outside". No one asked what was said. Later that night he recounted his tale. I made school aware, in no uncertain terms.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCScienceTeach View Post
I think it is silly to expect the school to get involved in discipline for a matter that occured outside of the school day. We have an issue with cyber bullying going on. Why should our school be involved? Why should suspension even be on the table? If a child punched another student at the mall he/she wouldn't get suspended then. Why is saying something ugly on Facebook different?
I fundamentally disagree with your position on this issue. I think that it's silly to expect cyberbullying to stay confined to off-campus settings.

By the way, in my district, a fight at the mall could definitely result in suspensions at school. My school has a heavy gang presence, and all that violence that happens after school and on the weekend carries over into school the next day. It most certainly isn't over and done with just because the fight occurred the day before in another place.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
I totally agree with the idea that the fights and discontent from off campus issues carry over and continue (perhaps covertly) during school hours.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Quote:
Do you mean that if the students used a school computer to post the remarks? Or just that the students attend a particular school?

I think it is silly to expect the school to get involved in discipline for a matter that occured outside of the school day. We have an issue with cyber bullying going on. Why should our school be involved? Why should suspension even be on the table? If a child punched another student at the mall he/she wouldn't get suspended then. Why is saying something ugly on Facebook different?
Just as adults are representatives of their jobs (like the manager who was recently fired from Cold Stone Creamery), if students name their schools on their twitter or Facebook accounts, do they become representatives of that school? It would seem to me that if the student identifies the school they attend, anything they post can reflect directly on the school. For that reason, I wonder if schools would hold students accountable.

I do agree with Pete, that kids should be allowed to get out of their bubbles, learn from their mistakes, and have an opportunity to do and be better.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Guru

I get uncomfortable when things outside of school are addressed in school. That said, this behavior is...sad.

I have been dealing with A LOT of racism on social networking and as a result have lost a few "friends".
Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Habitué

I'm sorry, I just can't believe the way that one kid spelled "coincidence". Like, REALLY!?!? And he has the nerve to be hating on our president? Pick up a dictionary, dude!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Aficionado

Are you saying Caesar, that if two students fought at the mall they would face consequences at school the next day? Or just if they kept on with each other at school?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Are you saying Caesar, that if two students fought at the mall they would face consequences at school the next day? Or just if they kept on with each other at school?
They could potentially face consequences at school for either of those scenarios.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
The private Christian school that I work at doesn't have in their policy to make children accountable for what they do outside of school. We do as a policy have the right to inform parents about serious situations that we hear about outside of school. No consequences are given for poor choices students make outside the school hours away from the school. Our policy is to assist parents, but not to control their decisions.

Tags
handle, school