A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Companion

North Carolina/Toronto/Bermuda
Spouse teaches HS French
I don't know how meaningful this is - but 35 years ago I was a shaggy 19-year-old kid who had passed two actuarial exams, I interviewed with an insurance company, and about all they needed to know was that I had passed a couple of exams, and they said "Can you start the month after graduation?" and I said "I can start the week before graduation!" Now, on actuarial boards, I see people who've passed 2 or 3 exams and have an actuarial internship who can't even get interviews.

What I hear from actuarial recruiters - and keep in mind, this is not at entry level at all - is that companies want people who walk on water. For anybody else it's tough.

Is it the same in teaching? I have no idea. I don't know how much job mobility there is, or how many openings. I don't know what hiring managers look for, and unfortunately I haven't seen any of them post on these boards, it's mostly teachers. And for that matter, not necessarily the successful ones. Mostly people on the job seekers board are people who are looking for jobs, not people who are already in long-term, secure jobs.

My sense though is that even though in theory the supply/demand balance should remain relatively constant over time, that hiring managers in all fields are getting much more selective. Schools also seem to be trying to accommodate mid-career professionals who want to each rather than do. (Why, I have no idea. Either why you'd want a chemisty teaching chemistry to high school students rather than a chemistry teacher, or why a chemist would want to teach.) Every one of those jobs taken is one less for a younger teacher right out of university to fill.

All you can do is keep plugging away. I'm looking for a job for my wife, just going state by state, district by district. Of course, being geographically flexible helps (a lot).

Old 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Novice

NE, USA
High School Teacher
Where to then? and not to be danny downer but those states probably only hire from within, or the jobs aren't exactly the greatest. I know people talk about clark county Nevada, but i'm sure a ton of teachers hear the same thing, apply and then get their hopes shattered like mine have been.

Also in response to my bad evals. Should I reconsider even being a teacher. one thing i've noticed is that I love my content and my knowledge is good, everything else is average. I once heard a good teacher can teach anything, well there are some things I can't teach. so what can I do. Should I just go and be a fry guy at micky d's for crying out loud?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Where to then? and not to be danny downer but those states probably only hire from within, or the jobs aren't exactly the greatest. I know people talk about clark county Nevada, but i'm sure a ton of teachers hear the same thing, apply and then get their hopes shattered like mine have been.

Also in response to my bad evals. Should I reconsider even being a teacher. one thing i've noticed is that I love my content and my knowledge is good, everything else is average. I once heard a good teacher can teach anything, well there are some things I can't teach. so what can I do. Should I just go and be a fry guy at micky d's for crying out loud?
You might be able to relocate within your own state.

Tags
job, teacher, wrong, young