A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
We disenroll for an absence over 10 consecutive days as well. It is a state rule, not local. Exceptions and arrangements areade for medically necessary absences.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
We disenroll for an absence over 10 consecutive days as well. It is a state rule, not local. Exceptions and arrangements areade for medically necessary absences.
We have state policies governing absences of over 9 days...excessive absences affect test scores, funding, student achievement, school culture...most of my school's extended absences involve long family vacations. I had a student miss nearly a month last year due to overseas travel. While I'm sure he had many great experiences and learned 'life lessons' during his absence, a teacher can not possibly make up for the loss of such a large chunk of instructional time once a child returns. We do what we can.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
We have state policies governing absences of over 9 days...excessive absences affect test scores, funding, student achievement, school culture...most of my school's extended absences involve long family vacations. I had a student miss nearly a month last year due to overseas travel. While I'm sure he had many great experiences and learned 'life lessons' during his absence, a teacher can not possibly make up for the loss of such a large chunk of instructional time once a child returns. We do what we can.
I'm guessing this policy went into effect around 2005-2007?

Since I was in HS then and that is when my district changed from 25 absences allowed a year to 10 every two marking periods.

That might also be why my district freaked out when my neurologist told them I had to be out for the remainder of the 2006 school year after their nurse jeopardized my health.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Aficionado

New Brunswick, Canada
4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydisalva View Post
Hello

What does your administration say? please information about the student parent in west of time of1or2 week but no wait of school teacher in student.
I was just about to say the same thing...
Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurteacher View Post
I was just about to say the same thing...

Tags
cards, missing, report, work or vacation