A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Newcomer

CA
Is it Possible (Advisable) to take both the CSET Chemistry III/IV and Physics III/IV?

Hi,

I am currently getting my teaching credential in Mathematics. I also want to get certified for Physics and Chemistry, as I may want to teach those in the future.

I noticed when signing up for the CSET, they allow you to sign up for up to four tests at once. Would it be possible to take the CSET Chemistry III/IV and Physics III/IV at once.

For reference, I am a pretty fast worker (I took and passed all 3 math CSET tests at once). I majored in Biomedical Engineering and am very competent in Physics, however my Chemistry is a little rusty (yet I still feel I should be able to pass). However, I am concerned that signing up for all four, or even three, at the same time may be too much.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Let me state what might be obvious, just to make sure it gets stated: The Subtest III/IV package in each science is the Science (Specialized) option: it allows you to teach that science and only that science, on pretty much the high school level, with no general science courses (e.g., middle school physical science, which is broader than physics per se). If you might ever teach middle school, it might work better for you to take Subtests I and II and then the Subtests III in chemistry and physics, because the Subtest IV option won't let you teach general science. And if you might ever want to teach earth science or biology, having Subtests I and II in hand means you'd only need the Subtests III in those areas.

Another consideration is that I'm not sure that the system will actually ALLOW you to sign up for four subtests in one go, except for CSET English (which consists of four subtests).

Having said all of which, Subtest IV in each area pretty much consists of questions in that area drawn from the general science Subtests I and II. Given your track record, I wouldn't be surprised to find you succeeding with the two III/IV combinations you contemplate on one test day.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Rookie

I think it is possible (at least time wise) to do Physics III and IV and Chemistry III and IV in one session. It took me only 45 minutes to do Chemistry III and 30 minutes to do Chemistry IV. I have never taken Physics III or Physics IV, but with your math background, the exams should be a breeze. The question is if you will be allowed to take all 4 exams in one sitting. Check the CSET website.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Rookie

I'm quite curious about this as well. I'm in the process of getting my degree in physics with a chemistry minor (halfway there) and am only interested in teaching those subjects. Does not having subtests I and II completed hinder your chances for hiring? I have no interest in teaching middle school, I've always wanted to teach high school.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
My personal guess, Mack32793, is that not having the general science authorization will hurt a person less with physics and chemistry than it would with biology: there are simply somewhat fewer people with physics/chem authorizations.

On the other hand, if you're going to take a total of four subtests anyway, it might make more sense to bite the bullet and do Subtests I and II rather than the two subtests IV.

The most reliable way to make sure you won't have to teach middle school is probably to apply only to union high school districts (of which there are more in the state than I would ever have thought).

Tags
advisable, chemistry, cset, iii or iv, physics