A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiJ View Post
He's been working by himself this entire work and has done the best he's ever done work-wise.
Yeah!

You know, TamiJ, if I had to work in the conditions kids have to work in now, I don't think I would have been a successful student. I was lucky enough to go through school when and where kids weren't grouped into pods. Each student had space between desks. Rows and columns education, well until 6th grade and the small schools were consolidated into a large one with wedge shaped rooms and retractable walls. Kids were grouped 5-6 to a pod and we had 6 pods. It was a nightmare. Every movement others made resonated through the desks. Sniffles, talking, bumping, on and on and on. One huge distraction after another. It was a very difficult year and probably the worst academic year of my life. OK the only bad academic year of my life and my bad isn't really all that bad. Thank goodness that was the only year I had to spend at that school in that desk configuration.

I'm thrilled this student has a place to go to get away from distractions. There is something to be said about being able to focus no matter what, but if that isn't happening, learning and application of skills still must happen. I will put the learning and application of skills above the ability to focus in a distracting environment any day because there are many opportunities in other areas of life to learn that skill.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Companion

Yukon Canada
Teaching Assistant
agreed with the others. Try to give him the self motivation rather than external motivation. This is what you need to work. It's helping you just like any other tool we use in the class, what a great job your doing being responsible for your learning!

Tags
make, prize