A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Fanatic

some students are just going to be butts no matter what. I had one last semester. All the tricks and calm mannerisms never worked. He just wanted to argue. In order to focus on the lessons and other students I would frequently have to send him out of class or get an administrator to come and get him. No matter what answer I would give him he would come back with "why" or "why not?" You can't keep that up for a class period.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I believe in private warnings, but in the setting I am in, we cn't really do that. Not supposed to walk up and down between the rows, because students could do some silly things (all boys).
So the warnings are usually 'public', but I try to make it suttle: a mark down on the seating chart, most of the time I just look at the person, mark him down and he knows it's me.

If a student argues about it, I usually let them know that 1 mark down is not the end of the world, they technically have 1 more chance to messa up, and then they have to go. (when they get kicked out they get in big trouble). If they want to argue, I just let them know that they could be marked down for arguing. All I have to do is say: 'are you arguing wth me?' or just pick up my marker as if I'm about to mark him down again. That usually ends the whole thing.

I like the 'broekn record', too, I usually try to keep it short. "Get to work please. don't worry about it. get to work. Just get to work."
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
At what point should action be taken with the broken record though. I feel like continuing to repeat myself is allowing the student to eat into our instructional time and take control of the situation. When should a consequence be administered for continuing to whine?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I think that can be done on a case by case basis. If a student argues all the time, I would just move to the next consequence. If a student sometimes argues, I would remind them to stop (broken record, etc) to sort of give them another chance.

Or you can look at the time the student takes away. You mark him down for a consequence. He argues / complains. You redirect him. He continues. You mark him down again. Done.
After you redirect him he should stop, if he doesn't, there goes another consequnce.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Multitudinous

If you've used the broken record technique with fidelity and you believe that you've legitimately given the student time to process your request and time to make a good choice (this can take a while, several minutes or more), and if it is clear to the student what specifically he or she should be doing, then it's time to up the ante. "Student, I've directed you to get to work several times now but you haven't. At this point I'm going to give you a final direction to get to work. If you choose not to get to work, I will have no choice but to write you up (or whatever your school's next-level consequence is). Please take a moment to let me know what you're going to choose to do: get to work or get written up. I want you to stay in my classroom and I don't want to have to write you up, but you're the one who makes the decision based on your actions. What's it going to be?" If you have this conversation in private, most students will make the better choice.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
This is quite annoying as I remember in teaching 7th grade. I do have a bit of it in 5th grade, but I have found these things work well.

I would say 4 things work well on this.

1. The broken record technique that Caesar mentioned.
OR
2. Don't give any verbal response at all. It takes 2 to argue and the student will lose energy arguing with someone who isn't talking back at all. (I have found this to be very true). Fred Jones shows this clearly in his Tools for Teaching book.

**3. I had a student who would talk back. I waited until the right moment. I gave him a simple task to do and he broke a rule. I gave him his warning. This time he didn't talk back. I talked to him privately and told him how proud I was that he showed great self-control and didn't talk back. It has been over a month and he hasn't talked back since. I have found positive attention towards correct behavior is quite powerful at any age.

4. If the students are wasting time or being disrespectful of you by arguing, I think that it is okay to skip the warning and go straight to the consequence. Let them know that you don't have to give warnings, and will only do so if there is no arguing after it is given. Those who feel that they got a warning unfairly may file a written complaint and hand it in to you.

I have tried all 4 with success, but the ones I currently use are #2 and #3. Hope this helps.

Tags
anytime, back or argue, behavior, comment, redirect, students