A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Little City on the Prairie
Former math teacher
It did. It was a very comprehensive study. At the time I read it, all my subscriptions to various professional journals were still active, and I'm beginning to fear it was a subscription only site. They studied over 20,000 students in small districts, large districts, urban, suburban and rural districts. They also looked at students in all grade levels. I was blown away at how many details they looked at. It seemed to me that they were trying to prove that racism did not exist and that the disparity was caused by something else, but couldn't come to that conclusion.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Fanatic

It is great to hear the study was so thorough.

I read a great article the other day that was on subscription only site and was going to mention it here on a new thread, but I didn't because I couldn't really link anything.

I've heard of the study you are talking about, but I'm sure if you can't find it, I wouldn't have any luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Thanks for the attempt, mm, and for the insight: I know you would know whether the statistics were open to question.

I get that it's foolish and dangerous to insist that every instance of punishment doled out to every black kid is racist. But it's equally foolish and dangerous to insist that no instance of punishment doled out to a black kid is ever racist - which means that the question deserves to be revisited with some regularity until studies such as the one mm remembers show that racism plays no role in discipline (or, for that matter, in justice).
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Connoisseur

Florida
I must either be lucky or live in a parallel universe. I have taught lots of black and white kids. Some of my very best were the AA kids. Many are college educated and professionals. Some are teachers. One is an actor in movies you probably have seen. His dad is a school board member in our county (great guy). The bad behaviors this year are all from awful homes (no dads or BAD dads) and most are white. The different races I have taught over the years leaned neither way. Most were good kids that turned out fine. A few turned out badly. To be honest, most were white % wise.

Tags
black, disciplined, disproportionately, nationís, schools, students