A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Aficionado

USA
I would throw in that there is a difference between being extremely structured and being mean. Characterizations such as "drill sargeant," "dictator," and "wicked witch" I think convey that there is an element of meanness or cruelness which I think could imply a lack of balance between being firm and supportive. I'm guessing the folks who have used those characterizations are, in fact, great teachers who balance discipline and structure with love and affection (and integrate the two), but just wanted to clarify for the OP who may have taken a different message.

Also, as a side note, I would advise against grabbing kids who moved where you didn't want them to go. I do think a gentle physical redirection with extremely young students is probably okay, which may be what the poster meant, but the term "grabbing" might imply something that could cause you more problems that you'd be fixing.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

California
Working Class Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdEd View Post
Characterizations such as "drill sargeant," "dictator," and "wicked witch" I think convey that there is an element of meanness or cruelness which I think could imply a lack of balance between being firm and supportive.
You speak of "drill sergeant" like it was a bad thing.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
You speak of "drill sergeant" like it was a bad thing.
Lol in many situations I'm sure it's not!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 AM
Companion

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Yesterday he tripped me and I almost fell on another student on the carpet. In hindsight, I should have addressed this more than a quick lecture to him and the entire class about sitting still in the middle of your carpet square. I should probably have emailed the parents (I still can). Basically he fidgets a lot, and I was walking to grab a book off the shelf. He crawled alongside me and I didn't see him nor expected him to go out that far. I tried to catch myself and luckily fell in a spot where I missed a girl by a foot or so. I was OK, myself. Everyone was OK.

I was mostly shocked, I think. Not angry so much as shocked. I spoke with him about the importance of staying in his square. I try to build him up by praising but it's so difficult to praise a boy who only follows the rules 10% of the time. It gets to the point where I let a lot of things slide because IF I always "get him" to act like the other kids, I would never do any teaching. Some kids will be just who they are... and I don't know if, at a certain point, you can radically change them.

It's a constant "Do I let that slide with him?" battle in my mind. But, I can try more of a silent look next time and see how that fares.

Everyday I start out feeling optimistic and glad to see him. By recess time I'm mildly annoyed. By lunch time I am disappointed that it's Groundhog Day, and by the end of the day I want to pull my hair out. I teach at a private school and if I return, I don't see any kids with the kind of issues he has coming in next year. I am trying to help him, but honestly, I have that back pocket card of "Well, just 3 more months... next year's kids can't be any worse..." Even the principal and superintendent admits that they gave me a very bad mix of water and oil kids. I have kids arguing, fighting and crying every 15 minutes, it seems. I guess my 1st year had to be this way. I am honestly looking forward to next school year, because this year has been more management than actual teaching. It's been frustrating, but I got 3 more months to go and want to make the best of it.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
I love each and every one of my students, and they all know it, even the most, ummm, challenging of the bunch. I am extremely firm with them, though, because I have high expectations for all of them. In addition (and more importantly, actually), most of my kiddos desperately need structure and predictability. To paraphrase a Dr. Phil phrase, they need to be able to predict, with 100% accuracy, what will happen at such and such a time, or if they do such and such an act. Many of my kiddos have no structure or dependability at home, so I am the one to teach them what it looks/sounds/feels like. I call myself the "wicked witch of the south," and "drill sergeant," but I have parents requesting for their kids to be in my class. I also have one of the most well-behaved and productive classes at my school (despite having several non-readers. still. this late. in the year.).

Tags
boy, class, end, wit