A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Aficionado

Middle of the USA
HS English & Psych, Adjunct too
Have you sought advice from a doctor?

I have anxiety. I take an SSRI that helps a LOT.

(by the way, being a college professor doesn't get you out of working in the morning).

Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Have you spoken to a doctor about your anxiety?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Fanatic

Ohio
2nd Grade Teacher
Have you considered online teaching? I believe some teachers in this area actually can adjust their hours, somewhat, and may be in contact with students at different times than traditional schools.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
thanks guys, thanks to those that actually took this seriously. I said I know it sounds like a lame excuse but you obviously don't understand anxiety. See I have a problem with stuff like that and at first I was doing fine, and I know that once I get there I love what I'm doing, but slowly the anxiety gets worse and worse, the closer I get to the job I start to cry, so I've stopped taking jobs for now till I sort through this. It's not just a matter of growing up, I really want to find a way to make this work. I feel like I'm blabbing on again, but anyway I just feel really confused. The only thing I know for sure is that I am passionate about English and about teaching.
Don't jump to conclusions, I understand anxiety better than many. I guess when it comes down to it you have to make a decision to find a way to work through the anxiety - how you do this is up to you, but for example it could mean taking substitute jobs at a private school where you have a less stressful environment in the beginning of your career, and perhaps gradually working your way to a better paying job as you are able to handle stress more, or taking up yoga/meditation - this is a huge stress reliever for me, but you usually need a paycheck to pay for it! Another clear option is medication, as others have mentioned, or counseling. How have you coped with this throughout college?

Anyways, didn't mean to sound harsh in my previous response. Happy Thanksgiving!

Tags
thoughts