A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 AM
Comrade

High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
. Many will make no bones about letting you know this, and I've yet found an effective way to reach out to this group.
Of course you haven't figured this out...you are just a teacher. If you knew how you would be an expert and be working at the central office, admin or setting policy with the state boe.

It's like the football games...the "experts" aren't on the field coaching, they are sitting in the stands.

when you get this figured out though, make sure you post the answer here please.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Rookie

Illinois
High School Teacher
It's an interesting topic. I will come out and admit that I do not teach Math (rather History). Therefore, I cannot speak directly to what is effective and ineffective for another content area. Yet, I am curious about what works the best way in a Math classroom. At my high school, Math has been a consistent low-score subject on the state testing.

From my experience in a History classroom, my students have trouble with critical thinking questions about topics. Short answer and essay questions without a word bank just is a HUGE struggle with them. My best guess about Math problems is that my students cannot formulate a response to a problem that does not provide a prompt like word bank or multiple choice question would. School is far more challenging when a student has to rely on solely their own retention of content.

Am I right? This might be why they tend not to do homework because they actually have to know the content and process to do it without relying on a something to prompt them.

Tags
homework, math, students