A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 03-02-2013, 05:54 AM
Guru

I don't at all equate professional with dress, so that aspect doesn't bother me at all.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Devotee

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Science Teacher
Some years back in a school where I worked this idea was suggested by the Head Teacher. Many of us on the staff greeted the idea with loud enthusiasm and demanded to know when we would be measured for our uniforms! The Head Teacher looked at us strangely and asked why we needed measuring. We told him that we would all need 3 sets of uniform, one to wear, one in the wardrobe and one in the wash. Of course we could probably get away with two suits but certainly 3 shirts and pairs of socks would be needed. Also we asked him how the school would organise the cleaning of these uniforms. Would we bring them in so that they could be laundered separatly or was it up to us to arrange cleaning and then bring in the bill for reclaiming? The idea was quickly dropped.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Comrade

Texas
6th Grade Teacher
I agree it would make things easier, but I would not be ok with my already over-the-top, micromanaging administration telling me what to wear to work every day. The expectation is that we dress professionally, and we all do. In fact, we have some teachers who refuse to wear the casual spirit dress on Fridays because it's not professional. As far as I'm concerned, professional dress is our "uniform." Our students wear uniforms and constantly whine, "Why don't you have to wear a uniform?" Because I'm a teacher. This is my classroom, where I make the rules. I've proven myself to be responsible enough to dress respectfully and appropriately, and I've earned the right as a professional adult to make my own decisions. In my opinion, many students would view teachers wearing uniforms as an equalizer. I think it's important for there to be reasonably different expectations for students and teachers. Sometimes there has to be the simple explanation of, "Because you're the student, and I'm the teacher. Period."
Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Habitué

I would go for it. I don't have money to buy clothes anyway. My 7 year old son takes all of that.

Tags
teachers, uniforms