A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > New Teachers

Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Newcomer

Classroom management

This year I got a new job working for a non-profit. A big part of my job is to go to different middle schools once a week and teach our curriculum. I love my job and the information I teach the students, but I have a very hard time with classroom management. I have a hard time getting the students to stay quiet and listen to what I have to say. I know itís 99% of my fault because I make a lot of rookie mistakes, like being too lenient, not being consistent and I think sometimes I come off as unprepared because I get nervous and forget what Iím saying. Can you guys please provide me with some tips for classroom management, especially for someone who only teaches once or twice a week? Is it too late to get them to listen to me? Iíve read that if they donít take you serious the first week, then you are basically screwed for the rest of the semester. Iím starting to believe I suck at teaching, and I really want to master this profession

Old 11-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Habituť

Rocklin, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali View Post
... A big part of my job is to go to different middle schools once a week and teach our curriculum. ...
Not sure what you mean, "teach our curriculum"? Can you be more specific?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Newcomer

how to deal with aggression and fighting in the classroom
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
Are you left alone with the classes? Here, guest speakers/presenters are responsible only for presenting their program; the classroom teacher remains in the room to handle discipline and assist the presenter.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Novice

Midwest USA
Special Education Teacher
If it was me, i would bring snacks for the students that behave, and hand them out 5 minutes before the class period ends...... Let the misbehaving students suffer and watch the good students eat lol.

My students use to be 100% bad until i started bringing snacks. Now their behavior is 60% bad lol
Old 12-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Companion

I would find out from each teacher what their mgmt. system is and follow that. The kids will be used to that. If you need cue cards to stay on track, use them. Walk around the room, don't just stand in front and be a talking head. Make everything you say be relevant to their lives, not some vague esoteric values class.

Tags
classroom, management