A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
What I've always adored about email is that it waits. Send the teacher something brief, to the effect that you think you're getting the job and you'd love to meet with her about it. Keep it short, and make sure it has a title that reflects the contents: "I'm your LTS, I hope: can we meet?" or something of the like.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
I'm glad I peeked in on this thread again. Congrats HBC!!! That's great news. I hope that everything works out for you. I agree with TG.. send the email. After Friday, that teacher may not want to think about those classes anymore. She'll respond when she gets a chance. She may even be able to guide you on what she was going to do next.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
I made contact. Hopefully I hear back from her and/or the sub lady soon. School has only been in session for 2 hrs. Trying NOT to be paranoid.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Hugs, hb. If you're not working, can you please go take a walk or something?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
She just called me. We are going to make plans over the weekend. She's hooking me up with some teachers to help me out for each grade level as well.

ETA: The other 10th grade teachers called to invite me to their meeting tomorrow to go over the novels for the 3rd quarter. I'm going to go, but I'm admittedly nervous.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
Well I met with a few of the staff members today. So far I'm only there for two weeks from 2/4-2/15. I am wondering if this is at all a trial and I might be observed etc to see how I handle teaching three different English classes. I am hoping I made a good impression with the few of the teachers I met today, I was very nervous and didn't know what to expect. Two were super friendly and the other one was more serious (as co-department chair I'm not surprised), but all were welcoming and willing to share all their materials with me.

In any case--I have absolutely no idea what they intend to do after the two weeks are up. The teacher I'm taking over for thinks it's silly to possibly change the students again after two weeks so who knows.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Sounds very promising, hb! Sounds like this is your job to win.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
Thank you TG

Tags
calls, paranoid, week