A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXMusic View Post
So it's definite that you'll teach self contained classes in 6th grade if the move happens? I don't know of anyone around here that has self contained 6th graders. Regardless of which school they happen to be in. I can't think of too many places here that have 5th grade self contained, much less 6th grade.
No--no one has mentioned anything to me about teaching 6th grade next year.

If for some reason I have to teach 6th grade next year, though, I'll probably see if I can pair up with another teacher and s/he can teach math/science and I can teach language arts/social studies. When I taught 6th grade, I only taught language arts/social studies, so I know nothing about 6th grade math/science (obviously, though, I'd be willing to learn if I get placed in 6th grade).

My preference is to stay put in 2nd grade. We all know, however, that the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Fanatic

PA
Middle School FACS
Where I live middle school is 5-8.

Where I teach right now it's 1-5 for elementary and 6-8 for middle (and a Kindergarten center for K).

Where I was a LTS they switched from K-5 to K-6. The 6th grade teachers at the middle school taught language arts and math, and either science or social studies. They kept this same format when they switched to elementary. Unless there are only two sections per grade I would think you'd still be able to work it so that the teachers teach what they have always taught. Run the 6th grade on a more "periods" system even if the school as a whole doesn't. My husband teaches in a K-8 school and the 7th and 8th graders have periods and nobody else in the school does. Other than not having bells it works fine.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Fanatic

PA
Middle School FACS
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTeacherGuy View Post
If for some reason I have to teach 6th grade next year, though, I'll probably see if I can pair up with another teacher and s/he can teach math/science and I can teach language arts/social studies. When I taught 6th grade, I only taught language arts/social studies, so I know nothing about 6th grade math/science (obviously, though, I'd be willing to learn if I get placed in 6th grade).
Exactly what I was thinking you could work out as well.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Elementary: K-4
Intermediate school: 5-6 (departmentalized)
Middle School: 7-8
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Our middle school is 7-8. But we have an intermediate building that is 5-6.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Multitudinous

The district I grew up in had "junior highs" instead of "middle schools". The junior high schools were 7-9. High schools 10-12. Elementary schools K-6.

Here in the district where i teach, middle school is 6-8.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Fanatic

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
When I was little, it was K-6; 7-9; 10-12. They changed it when I was in 3rd or 4th grade to K-5; 6-8; 9-12. I personally attended a K-5 and a 6-12.

Now almost every school in my district is a K-8 or 9-12. I work at the only 6-12.

Tags
6th8th, 7th8th, middle, school