A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybelle View Post
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151396799859712

A more realistic version of the farmer commercial
That is not the farmers in my area. I am not saying that some don't have one or two workhands, but most are small farms ran by families. My son worked as a farmhand this summer. What a great experience for him. He worked hard all day and earned a decent wage for a kid-$12.50 a hour plus a truck. He will be doing it again this summer. And the multimillionaire farmer he works for pays a decent wage, has only one Hispanic worker (who has a truck and home provided for him along with medical) and employs three full time workers. His son, his father, and him are in the fields with is people each day. My uncles are farmers. None of them hire Hispanics. They all hire local men and teenagers to help. So PLEASE don't lump all farmers to your idea of a farmer!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Groupie

Costa Rica
Science
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrachelle87 View Post
That is not the farmers in my area. I am not saying that some don't have one or two workhands, but most are small farms ran by families. My son worked as a farmhand this summer. What a great experience for him. He worked hard all day and earned a decent wage for a kid-$12.50 a hour plus a truck. He will be doing it again this summer. And the multimillionaire farmer he works for pays a decent wage, has only one Hispanic worker (who has a truck and home provided for him along with medical) and employs three full time workers. His son, his father, and him are in the fields with is people each day. My uncles are farmers. None of them hire Hispanics. They all hire local men and teenagers to help. So PLEASE don't lump all farmers to your idea of a farmer!
According to the US Dep of Labor, 75% of US agriculture farm workers were born in Mexico.

Just sayin.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2z View Post
Really, what culture is that, HeartDrama?

I didn't realize that little blonde southern belles were encouraged to thrust and grind on the sidelines as a cultural thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartDrama View Post
Here is an example of how Beyonce has been inspired by dancers of specific cultures. It is not the first time. I never said anyone was an idiot, is that what you think of yourself?

http://www.vibe.com/article/meet-afr...es-girls-video

http://hellobeautiful.com/1772965/be...rican-dancers/
Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Fanatic

Peregrin, you are combining my quote with another that HeartDrama made to someone else. It is deceiving, and I don't appreciate that you made it seem that HeartDrama was saying that I called myself an idiot. If you wanted to show me the videos, you could have edited the quote where HeartDrama was telling someone else they could call themselves an idiot.

I can guarantee that blondie cheerleader wasn't doing an African dance even though both may have moved the same. I also didn't see the African men or the African women in either video wearing a black, lacy leotard which in this culture does have an implied significance. Context is important. The culture where the action is being done is important.

Remember when President Bush got in hot water for giving the peace sign in another country where the peace sign was like giving the finger. Their culture certainly didn't accept the sign as acceptable because it would be culturally insensitive not to. They were angry that he didn't think of the country he was in and their customs and culture. He was in their land. Their culture and customs were the ones being violated even if it was acceptable elsewhere.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast

Louisiana
The moves of hip hop dance, which is a recognized category at dance competitions, are heavily influenced by tribal dances of various African and South American tribes. Beyonce is trained in many styles of dance, one of which is hip hop. She also performs moves associated with jazz, modern, and other types of dance. But, as she is a hip hop recording artist, she typically performs moves associated with the hip hop dance style, which is influenced by and contains moves from a variety of cultures. The influence is there, whether directly or indirectly. I don't get why this is an issue. She is performing a style of dance wearing a costume associated with dancers.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
I apologize. I didn't mean it to sound that way. HeartDrama was replying to KinderKids I think. I posted it more for the links she had. I just saw that she had posted the answer to your question a few posts beforehand, and linked them together in case you might have missed her previous post.

I didn't realize you were talking specifically about the past cheerleader you had mentioned.

I agree with you on those points, my only note would be that the way Beyonce is dancing isn't really frowned upon in our society. Now it may be different for different parts of the US, but they show much worse things on national television frequently.

Again, I live in California, so it may be different where you live, and of course there are personal preferences as well, and maybe it's different in your community, but I think by an large, especially more urban areas found nothing even close to distasteful with Beyonce's performance.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Groupie

Costa Rica
Science
I think some of you might have a heart attack and die if you saw the way little kids dance down here and what they wear while dancing! Beyonce would look like a nun compared to these kids.

But it's totally a style of dance. Here, obviously tropical dances (merengue, salsa, bachata, bolero, etc) are the most popular and all involve lots of hip swaying. But that's the dance! It's sensual. Not like the hand jive which I guess is what some of you would have preferred during the show.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Devotee

SoCal
High School English
Thank you Peregrin and MissCeliaB.

a2z, I didn't realize you were referring specifically to cheerleaders either, though they are not exempt from learning dances from other cultures and performing them on the sidelines if they so choose.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

Arizona
Retired middle school shop teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybelle View Post
According to the US Dep of Labor, 75% of US agriculture farm workers were born in Mexico.

Just sayin.
In reading the link they use the term "U.S. CROP WORKERS" does it mean year round or just harvest time? I taught in an area that had many "seasonal" workers also it is also changes whether it is a corporate farm or Family farm.

Having been a loyal listener to Paul Harvey and having read his books I am sure he was talking about the family farmer, which is in decline.

Paul Harvey
Paul Harvey Aurandt (September 4, 1918 February 28, 2009), better known as Paul Harvey, was an American radio broadcaster for the ABC Radio Networks. He broadcasted News and Comment on weekday mornings and mid-days, and at noon on Saturdays, as well as his famous The Rest of the Story segments. From the 1950s through the 1990s, Harvey's programs reached as many as 24 million people a week. Paul Harvey News was carried on 1,200 radio stations, 400 Armed Forces Network stations and 300 newspapers. His success with sponsors stemmed from the seamlessness with which he segued from his monologue into reading commercial messages. He explained his relationship with them, saying "I am fiercely loyal to those willing to put their money where my mouth is."

I'm A Curmudgeon with Panache
Grandpa: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Retired Shop teacher, 35 years

Tags
bowl, half, show, super, time