A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Connoisseur

Florida
I love the shut up and be happy you have a job nonsense. I will give you some reality and perspective. I work with a lady, 39 years old, taught K for a good while and is so damned poor she cannot even go to the Dr with our lousy insurance. She is paying right now for a procedure she HAD to have on installments. Lives in a crappy rental as close to the school as she can to save money on gas. 15 years of experience with and not a living wage by any stretch. Comparing old folks in retirement to her is apples and oranges. This lady worked hard to be a teacher and she DOES AN OUTSTANDING job. I have worked with K kids for 30+ years and she is great at it. When I read stories about how bankers actually made off with millions, are not punished and then deemed too big to fail so they are bailed out. It makes me want to puke. This lady provides an extremely valuable service to society. SHe is getting a big group of kids off on the right foot socially and academically. That responsibility cannot be quantified in my eyes, For her to still make less than 35K a year is criminal. We have decided that nurses, electricians, insurance salesman and hundreds of others (many with no college) deserve much more. What ever it is our priorities suck. And a big reason is the damned politics involved. A certain segment has decided teachers and public schools are bad and have done their best to destroy it. If you think that way then you do not see what I see when I walk in those doors each day.
Our country is great because education leveled the field for everyone and gave us all a chance. Now with $$$ influencing our leadership that has become the bottom line. We will get what we pay for and heaven help us.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Comrade

California
4th Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella2010 View Post
I bring home $24,000, and I'm in my fifth year. I agree about the cost of living thing, but it kind of sucks because it depends on where you live at. I live in an oil town where crummy apartments in scary parts of town rent for $1,000. Our mortgage is $650 for a 1400 sq. ft. house built in 1982 in a decent neighborhood. However, in a town 45 miles down the highway you can buy a house built within the last 5 years, double the size, for the same amount of money we paid for ours.

I knew what I'd be making going in, so I really don't have anything to say about that. I didn't know how much crap we have to put up with for the amount of compensation we get.

So, I feel your pain.

Beth
I live in So-Central California. I am trying to buy a house or a condo... I qualify for 75k right now, which would buy me just about any 700 sq ft run-down trailer in the worst parts of town.
It doesn't help that gas is well over $4.10 per gallon... and I am driving 100miles round trip EVERYDAY to and from work.

This pay is just frustrating me. I wish America would truly invest in education instead of just saying it with words. If I was paid a few hundred more a month, a few thousand more a year...

...the world would be a happier place.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Comrade

California
4th Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lee View Post
Please realize that there are thousands of OLD people with M.Ed's (i.e. 28-year olds)
I think I'm more offended that you referred to 28-year-olds as OLD...?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherwithlove View Post
I make 35k before taxes and this is my 2nd year in the field. Despite this, we are on salary freeze so I remain on step 1 for the unforeseeable future.
I'm in the same situation. I make about $35,000 before taxes, as well.

I did take on a 2nd job during my 3rd year of teaching. I work at a teacher/educational toy store, making close to minimum wage. I work 2 nights a week, plus 1 weekend day, earning about $500/month. It's been almost 3 years, and I'm pretty used to it now...It is a lot of added stress, because I feel like all I do is work, but having the extra income really does alleviate a lot of stress, too. It allowed me to live by myself for 2 years in an apartment (before my fiance and I moved in together).

However, I do stick to a tight budget, and I rarely spend money just for fun. I go shopping for clothes maybe once per year, and I usually just shop the clearance racks. I also don't go on vacations like many of my friends do, I don't have a smart phone, and many other "luxuries."

I understand your frustration. If you feel like you could handle a 2nd job, I would go for it. It's exhausting at first, but it's nice having the extra money.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella2010 View Post
I bring home $24,000, and I'm in my fifth year. I agree about the cost of living thing, but it kind of sucks because it depends on where you live at. I live in an oil town where crummy apartments in scary parts of town rent for $1,000. Our mortgage is $650 for a 1400 sq. ft. house built in 1982 in a decent neighborhood. However, in a town 45 miles down the highway you can buy a house built within the last 5 years, double the size, for the same amount of money we paid for ours.
Agreed...My last apartment was about 900 square feet, and I paid $535/month, including heat and water. It was a great apartment, too! We currently own a duplex (our side has 2 bedrooms, and our tenants' side has 3 bedrooms), and our mortgage is around $1,100. Since our tenants pay $750, we only have to pay $350. Pretty sweet deal!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

USA
Elementary
The cost of living where I am is extremely high so unless you have two incomes, it can be very tight. I was and still am a single mom when I began my teacher ed program then, a few years ago, completed my masters so I'm just now hitting the $70,000 mark but I'm also in my 12th year. I won't make much more over the course over the next 8 years before I retire with 20years. Trust me when I say that even with a salary like this, it's still very tight with how expensive everything is. If I could make this salary in a different part of the country, I could be living comfortably.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityGal606 View Post
The cost of living where I am is extremely high so unless you have two incomes, it can be very tight. I was and still am a single mom when I began my teacher ed program then, a few years ago, completed my masters so I'm just now hitting the $70,000 mark but I'm also in my 12th year. I won't make much more over the course over the next 8 years before I retire with 20years. Trust me when I say that even with a salary like this, it's still very tight with how expensive everything is. If I could make this salary in a different part of the country, I could be living comfortably.
I get it!! Teachers in my area eventually make this much or more (although we currently have a step and column freeze so I'm not exactly progressing towards this...), but when rent on a one bedroom apartment is $1500 and modest houses are $500k, it's definitely not going to cause you to live in the lap of luxury!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenpe View Post
I love the shut up and be happy you have a job nonsense. I will give you some reality and perspective. I work with a lady, 39 years old, taught K for a good while and is so damned poor she cannot even go to the Dr with our lousy insurance. She is paying right now for a procedure she HAD to have on installments. Lives in a crappy rental as close to the school as she can to save money on gas. 15 years of experience with and not a living wage by any stretch. Comparing old folks in retirement to her is apples and oranges. This lady worked hard to be a teacher and she DOES AN OUTSTANDING job. I have worked with K kids for 30+ years and she is great at it. When I read stories about how bankers actually made off with millions, are not punished and then deemed too big to fail so they are bailed out. It makes me want to puke. This lady provides an extremely valuable service to society. SHe is getting a big group of kids off on the right foot socially and academically. That responsibility cannot be quantified in my eyes, For her to still make less than 35K a year is criminal. We have decided that nurses, electricians, insurance salesman and hundreds of others (many with no college) deserve much more. What ever it is our priorities suck. And a big reason is the damned politics involved. A certain segment has decided teachers and public schools are bad and have done their best to destroy it. If you think that way then you do not see what I see when I walk in those doors each day.
Our country is great because education leveled the field for everyone and gave us all a chance. Now with $$$ influencing our leadership that has become the bottom line. We will get what we pay for and heaven help us.
I suppose I'm one of those (in the "shut up and be grateful" crowd), and I do recognize the plight of those like you mention, more than you know.

I've worked for my district for 11 years, dutifully (i.e. don't take days off "whenever I feel like it"). In that time, I've earned my credential, and represented myself and the district professionally. I am complimented almost daily for my efforts and manner, and in that time, I've received a grand total of zero job promotions or raises. And when I pulled in to the ATM earlier this week--my checking account balance was $3.47. (I get paid at the beginning of the month. 3 bucks has to last me through the weekend.)

Now I'm not telling you this looking for sympathy. My point is in saying that *I* understand the plight of the person you represented. It doesn't change my opinion. A 25-year old with her own teaching job ... despite the fact that she may be making less than she'd like... is FAR from destitute (in this economy). And with a simple tweak--one can actually see HOW LUCKY they are.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityGal606 View Post
I feel the same way! With 8 years under my belt, my salary is about 65k. My mortgage payment takes up quite a bit, though, so I have to watch my checkbook closely!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Multitudinous

Teachers in my district recently found out that we'd be facing a pretty major pay cut, effective immediately and without warning. While my family will be able to manage even after the cut, it's going to require some changes to our lifestyle. We've grown accustomed to that money, and now it won't be there anymore. I work with someone who is the sole breadwinner for his family of six. The paycut will impact his family pretty significantly. I feel bad for him and his family.

My family lives very frugally and we don't use credit (except for our mortgage). We pay for everything with cash, and it's exactly for scenarios like this. When you face an unexpected loss of income, it's much easier to just stop doing as much "fun" stuff (going out to eat, going to movies, etc.) or cut out some extras than it is to continue paying on high credit cards, car payments, and the like with less money coming in each month. I realize that my family is in a better financial situation than those of many of my colleagues who make the same or more than I make.

I do believe that I deserve a higher salary.

Tags
rant, salary, teacher, warning