A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Resigning mid-year

One of my team members is resigning this month for another job (a non-teaching job). We will be interviewing for her replacement in the upcoming weeks.

I cannot imagine coming into this job mid-year. There is SO MUCH on our plates right now, that we're all going crazy! Our district is coming down very hard on us, and everyone is very stressed. There will be so much for this new person to learn and do.

For those of you who have taken over a position mid-year, or had someone on your team resign, what did other people do that really helped you out? Obviously, I'll be there to answer any of his/her questions and that sort of thing, but was there something in particular that was very helpful?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Comrade

Florida
3rd Grade Teacher
I've done it and will admit it is hard! You have to have a person willing to jump in with both feet. You also need individuals on the team receiving that person who will be receptive to the new person, willing to help, and willing to share. Of course, you need a person willing to receive all that. It can be done, but it is hard and takes a lot of time and dedication. Anyone who wants a job and accepts one this time of year should be willing to do all of the above.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Not quite the same thing but I was hired in November to start a brand new math program at an elementary school. No books, no program, nothing. I was on my own, there. But it was WONDERFUL having the staff all help me out and offer books, ideas, etc. I think having a person willing to jump in, like dr. gater, said, and having a wonderful school support will make a huge difference.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPigeon View Post
I cannot imagine coming into this job mid-year. There is SO MUCH on our plates right now, that we're all going crazy! Our district is coming down very hard on us, and everyone is very stressed. There will be so much for this new person to learn and do.
I can't fathom what the new teacher would be going through if I resigned right now. With the CFAs, ELD, RtI, PBIS, DI, and other acronyms we use on an hourly basis, the new person's learning curve would need to go up exponentially in order to survive.

To answer your original question, though--no, I've never had anyone from my team resign mid-year.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Cohort

Adjacent To Your House
Undergraduate
Are you guys going to be upfront with this person in the interview, telling him/her that this position entails a whole lot of responsibility? Also, your team should just be patient.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Thanks, everyone.

My other teammates will also be very willing to help out the LTS. We all get along really well (no cattiness, backstabbing, etc.). Two of us pretty much live at school, so we will be available to help out a lot. I am nervous about finding someone, though. We really need someone who is willing to jump right in, because we're losing a great, well-loved teacher.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Wow! Good luck!

I would start by giving the new teacher a list of phone numbers, emails, etc. Maybe each of you call her/him so that he/she has your numbers.

How much of the room will this teacher need to set up? If there is a lot of set up involved, it would be helpful if your team would help out with that.

Let the new teacher know that your classrooms are open for to her/him. It helps just to walk into other rooms to get ideas.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Companion

Midwest
Upper Elementary Teacher
Hi! Last year one of my teammates left midyear for her maternity leave and stayed out the remainder of the school year. We knew well in advance who the replacement would be, she had been a para at our school. Since we knew in advance, we met several times before the 2nd semester started and wrote as many lesson plans in advance that we could and gave her tons of resources in case she wanted to veer from the plans we had made. She was amazing, she worked endless hours, and we were all there for her when she needed help, and planned together whenever she wanted to. The teacher who went on maternity leave was also amazing and had ridiculously organized binders for everything she would need for RTii, CFA's, and everything in between. The teacher who started midyear did such a great job, she now has her very first own classroom in our school :O)
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Companion

Texas
5/6 Math and Science
I am in that position. Today makes the end of my second week of teaching. I'm stressed like crazy, but I am really enjoying it so far. I am replacing a teacher that quit after the first six weeks of school so the students have had random subs for a week at a time. It is challenging for sure. Most days I feel like I am herding cats. (I'm teaching 7th grade ELA) The entire staff have been really supportive and answer all my questions.

Tags
midyear, resigning