A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Newcomer

Karen McDermott has great study guides.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:46 AM
Rookie

California
High School Teacher
Thank you for this! I only hope its still relevant since the test is now digital.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, Prof. Chaos.

(I posted about RICA: bad me.)

CSET English has changed a bit in coverage with the shift to the digital format - and the shift to Common Core standards - but my sense is that there's simply a shift in emphasis toward nonliterary texts and analysis, and perhaps more stress on savvy consumption and production of media.

Last edited by TeacherGroupie; 09-05-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:12 AM
Newcomer

Texas
NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
Now a file for Subtest II, Language_Acquisition.doc, and one for Subtest IV, Glossary_of_Drama_Terms.doc.

There's an Excel file of linguistic terms, but apparently A to Z doesn't like Excel files. Let me see what I can do with that.

Please remember to thank elmer, all.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Rookie

Hi Elmer,
I have to take the English 5038 test. I am not in California. I live in TN. What test were these from exactly? The notes are very thorough and some seem like they would be relevant to my test but I always double check everything lol. Thank you.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:04 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
5038 sounds like a Praxis test number. Experience suggests that these glossaries should work perfectly well for Praxis - one might see less of theatre in 5038 than in CSET English, but a grasp of the terminology for theatre shouldn't hurt.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Newcomer

Hello,

I was a BS Psychology in college, planning to go for a MA Teaching/Cred. in English. As far as my background in English goes, I had my English classes in high school and during college, took a handful of English courses. Unfortunately, I am in a panic, especially when I recently gleamed over the CSET English subtests. It has been a while, so some of the terminology and literary information is foreign to me. I already downloaded Elmer's resources (so thankful); I am also wondering what books to buy off Amazon. I am planning to take the test in 2 months, so there is not much time. I definitely need to pass!

Any advice on what to do? I would be so thankful.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
CSET English comprises 100 multiple choice questions, four of what Pearson calls "focused" responses (150-300 words), and two of the longest "extended" responses in all of CSET (or teacher testing, for that matter); if one takes the thing in one go, the test appointment is five hours, though most takers split the subtests up in order to get more time. The focused responses in Subtest IV cover ground that most other states' English tests don't because those states don't lump speech/communications, journalism, and theatre arts in under the English credential/license. If you prep as though you're taking CSET English (wave at Subtest IV), you should be nicely overprepared, and with luck you'll have knocked the rust off your high-school and college English course while exploring ways in which your BS in psychology can be leveraged for teaching and learning English.

For now, breathe, please.

Tags
elmer, english, resources