A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
Make your own name cards for the students that are propped up on their desks until you remember their names

Old 12-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Habitué

Side note, as someone who visits many different classrooms, I LOVE teachers who have some kind of work (or even just decorative) display up that includes pictures of the kids. I always study them on there! It helps when returning to the classroom at a later date as well, because then I can refresh my memory. I meet a lot of kiddos!

I also find that doing attendance and looking at each child before you mark them down is very helpful if your master teacher is okay with that. It can be a bit of a time waster in the long run, but useful at first. I rarely get to do attendance though, so I usually just look students in the eye and say their name when I meet them. It does help. Creating the desk cards that were suggested might help you if the students don't already have name tags on there.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Habitué

California
High school biology
A seating chart is a must for me, since I have to learn about 150 names every year teaching high school. The first few weeks, whenever I call on a student, I look at the seating chart to find his or her name. I quickly memorize the names of the students who volunteer answers all the time. Second, whenever the students are taking a test or doing quiet seat work, I take a few minutes to study the seating chart, associating names with faces. I usually have all 150 names down by the end of the 2nd week.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
When I get my class list, I pull out the yearbook from the year before and start working on the names of students who were at our school in the year prior.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
I think I am pretty good at remembering names, but for me I have to see the names written out so I can picture the name in my head to go with the face. When I meet someone (kid or adult) with an unusual name, I will ask them how it is spelled. Until I can see it in writing in my head, I can't remember it.

With my own class, I saw most of the students' photos ahead of time on their placement cards, and I studied those. They were really surprised when I called them by name on the first day! Other than that, I just repeat their name back to them, like others have said. "Hi, Bob, I'm happy you're in our class!" or something like that.

Tags
names, remembering