A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 12-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Rookie

Oregon
Subbing/Job Searching (Secondary)
Subs, what are some funny/odd things students believe about you?

I'm sure this has been done before, but I thought it would be fun to collect some of the weird, or funny, or weird AND funny things the students you sub for believe about you. I thought of two to share:

#1: I currently substitute in my hometown in Oregon, mainly at the middle school and high school I attended growing up. I did go to college in the Midwest, but otherwise, I've always lived here, and my parents were born in this region of the state as well. Twice in the past year or so, in totally different classes, students have asked me if I "was from a foreign country," "had parents who spoke a foreign language," or, to be even more specific, if I was "from England." They all claimed I had a very noticeable accent. I am willing to believe they're hearing *something* in my speech pattern, because while I was in college, I once had a kid working the register at a fast food restaurant in Chicago tell me the same thing. Only in his case, he tried to argue with me when I told him my parents actually were NOT born in a foreign country; if I had an accent to his ear, it was just because I was from the West. This story has a delicious, starchy ending, though: he gave me my order of mashed potatoes for free, allegedly on account of my "pretty [and, he still insisted, foreign] accent!"

#2 I have another example that I think is far stranger. Toward the end of a semester-long LTS, I discovered that an 11th-grade boy in one of my APUSH classes (who shouldn't have been in AP because of a complete lack of interest and effort, and had been extremely disrespectful to me) HAD APPARENTLY THOUGHT I WAS A FELLOW HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT THE ENTIRE TIME! I only discovered this when he referred to me as the regular teacher's "TA," which in our school specifically means a high-school-aged teacher's helper. He appeared to think I'd just been left there...

So, anybody else? Have something odd you'd care to share? I'd love to hear about it.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Phenom

Midwest
Our last name rhymes with an animal. So when I taught lil ones I would say you know like such and such animal. Hubby and I were at a local store and I saw one of the students I subbed for... student came running up to me Mrs. the animal and gave me a hug. Hubby was like what was that all about and the student even use our last name. I explained to him and we both giggled.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Comrade

China
1st Grade ESL
I've had students think I was Southern before, because I apparently have a Southern accent?

Students also have thought I was a fellow student. This actually causes some issues for me when I try to start class - a lot of kids don't believe I'm the sub.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 AM
Rookie

Substitute Teacher
I have students believed that I was a cop. At one school, since I always wear a shirt and tie, the students believed that I had to be rich.

But I think best one is at one my regular schools, the students made up some story that I was a spy, who also played in the NBA when I wasn't subbing.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Habitué

US
Hmmm...I have no idea what they think of me. I've never even thought about it.
I have had occassions where kids are whispering in Spanish and I'll look over at them with my "be quiet" look. More than once I've heard them tell each other to shush and that I know what they're saying. Truth is...I have no idea what they're saying!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
One student asked if I was Amish--when he really meant Swedish. Which lead to the class demanding to know if I could yodel. On a whim I said yes because my grandma could yodel.

Big mistake.

Now they think I'm a yodeling champion (just cuz I know how--barely) and demand to know every time I come to school.

I don't do it anymore though because the last time I did it it hurt my voice.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
When students are engaged in an independent activity for a longer time, and the classroom is silent, I like to play music for them (sometimes) The only type of music I play are instrumentals, that's were I draw the line, otherwise they'd be asking me to play all kinds of songs. This way they can't.
So normally I play classics like Vivaldi, Brahms, etc, I especially like violins because they're so soothing. If they can handle it, sometimes I play Bond or other instrumentals, such as Flamenco fusion, etc. (a little more lively)

A lot of my students must think that when I go home, I listen to opera or classics like Vivaldi, etc. They get that just because I play that kind of music for them, even though I explain that it's only to help them concentrate, that's not something I listen to in my own time.
This makes me wonder what kind of other conclusion they come up with.

Some of my daughter's friends at school think I'm Swedish (they heard me talk + blonde hair) and some others are convinced that I'm a Russian spy.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Michigan
Substitute Teacher
I did a semester of practicals at an early childhood development center, and they called their teachers by "Miss" and their first name. So I told them I was Miss Gretchen. Most 3 year olds shortened that to Miss Gretchy, except I injured my knee 1 week in and had to use crutches for the next 12 weeks (in a 16 week semester), so most of the kids started calling me "Miss Crutchy" and were truly confused when I stopped using crutches, since they didn't know what to call me anymore. I couldn't convince them that "Miss Gretchy" was okay.

Of course, there are always the kids who think that the teachers live at school... especially if you're in the same building a lot. So when I subbed 3 days at 1 school, with the other 2 days at another nearby, on Friday a child asked me why I stayed in bed all day during those 2 days. I explained that I didn't, but that I was working at another school, to which he looked very puzzled but didn't ask anything further until later in the day. At that point he said, "So, when you subbed at (X), did you, like, have a sleepover there or something?" I said no, and that I slept at home. He got really upset and said that I can't live at that school and this school at the same time. I did an excellent job of keeping a straight face while explaining that I don't live at any school, but in a house with my husband, and that I have a car that I use to get to school. He was really put out.

One student asked me if I want to be a teacher when I "grow up" I thought it was hilarious that she thought I was old about 20 minutes earlier, because I'm older than her mom, so I must be ancient.

I am frequently asked if I am their normal teacher's MOM/sister/cousin/wife. Apparently all blondes are related. lol. And they apparently think I'm even older than I really am, because most of their teachers are in their 30s-40s, so being their teacher's mom would make me about 60. (I'm in my 30s) Should I be hurt that they never think I'm the daughter?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Rookie

Substitute Teacher
When I was in student teaching and I had to go to the restroom, I used to tell my CT that I was "going to my office" as code for the bathroom. The students really believed I had my own office. I thought that was cute.

Tags
funny or odd, students, subs, things