A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Phenom

Midwest
We trained ours by everytime we go to the door by saying "outside" this way when she got older we'd say outside and she'd bark or run to the door and we'd know it was time.

My parents just got a puppy and their friend is a dog trainer and she said not to do any "big" trick until after 8 months because their brains are still small like a baby/toddler.

Maybe you should put her on a leash and walk her right to the door, so she can't stop in the hallway. Good Luck....

Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Cohort

2nd Grade Teacher
I know it's best to take them out every hour. We both work so that is not a possibility for us during the day. We also live in an apartment and there is not really anywhere or her to out too. We are moving into our house in about two weeks, so hopefully that will help. It's just been frustrating as she is walking past the door to the bathroom to go potty in the hallway. Probably is just an off week. We will just keep trying!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Multitudinous

Are you crate training her?

Have you used an enzymatic cleaner like the one Ms. I suggested?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 2 Other Jobs
It's been the opposite for me. I've had my dog from a puppy to 7 yrs in a home & living with 2 other people & since 5 mos ago, have moved into an apt alone. The adjustment was smooth & simple actually. I used the same bathroom box method, but using a different box at the new place. I leave him in the bathroom box 2x for abut 5 or so min each workday morning while I'm getting ready for work. Then, I leave him sectioned off in my bathroom & laundry area. I still leave a pad just in case, which he NEVER uses. He has NEVER messed up anywhere when I got home from work. How he holds it for several hrs a day, I don't know. I don't like it, but what can you do. So as soon as I get home, I take him of course.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast

Arizona
Retired middle school shop teacher
DeeOhGee (4-5 years) has an accident about once a week I think she does it to get back at me for not taking her with me when I go out.

I'm A Curmudgeon with Panache
Grandpa: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Retired Shop teacher, 35 years
Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Companion

When I adopted my dog (the super handsome bug eyed guy in my avatar), I basically had to retrain him. In my old apartment, he got in the habit of having an accident in the same spot. It was because I wasn't cleaning it the way I should. Since I have moved, I have followed up immediately after every accident with an enzyme cleaner and he is doing fantastically now.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Cohort

2nd Grade Teacher
Yes, we are crate training her. We have the Natures Miracle housebreaking one, but it hasn't seemed to help. Maybe we can try the pet block one.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Groupie

Wisconsin
Primary Elementary Teacher
We crate trained and it worked.
He was in his crate whenever we could not watch him 100%.
When he came out, we rang a bell and took him outside to the exact area we wanted him to go.

Now the crate door remains open at all times and he comes and goes as he chooses. It's like his bedroom. When he has to go outside, he rings the bell. Then he goes to one area to pee and another to poop.

Tags
puppy, traininghelp