A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM
Aficionado

Nebraska
To Be Determined
You all need to read "The French Don't Diet Plan" by Dr. Will Clover. I hate diets with all the calorie and carb counting, eliminate this, cleanse that, drink only the seaweed smoothies, and all such nonsense. I have too much going on in my life to remember to track how many steps I've taken or weigh every piece of meat before I put it on my plate. This book is simply a no nonsense plan to eating, and it's perfect for those of us who like food. Basically this plain boils down to a few basic rules; 1) eat real food instead of preservative packed, over processed stuff, 2) eat slowly and savor the flavors, and 3) portion control! That's the hardest part for me. Anyway, my mom and I both read the book and followed it for a full summer, and we both lost noticeable amounts of weight. It is easy to slip back into eating fast food and prepackaged junk, but worth sticking with.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
I actually really like healthy foods. Salad with grilled chicken or salmon? Yes, please! Usually three or four nights a week.

But I also have this addiction to pasta. And baking. And curling up with a book and eating Cheez-its.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast

USA
Elementary
Quote:
Originally Posted by runsw/scissors View Post
You all need to read "The French Don't Diet Plan" by Dr. Will Clover. I hate diets with all the calorie and carb counting, eliminate this, cleanse that, drink only the seaweed smoothies, and all such nonsense. I have too much going on in my life to remember to track how many steps I've taken or weigh every piece of meat before I put it on my plate. This book is simply a no nonsense plan to eating, and it's perfect for those of us who like food. Basically this plain boils down to a few basic rules; 1) eat real food instead of preservative packed, over processed stuff, 2) eat slowly and savor the flavors, and 3) portion control! That's the hardest part for me. Anyway, my mom and I both read the book and followed it for a full summer, and we both lost noticeable amounts of weight. It is easy to slip back into eating fast food and prepackaged junk, but worth sticking with.

I like this idea and it makes sense. I try to stick to not eating anything that comes from a box or can. If I don't have to take a least 15 minutes to prepare it, I don't eat it. Even a good salad takes time to prepare. Although I work out hard 4 times a week, I find that I feel deprived of certain foods. I still want fresh baked bread and butter and potatoes and cake and red meat and other "bad for you" foods. So I think I'll try this idea of eat fresh and savor the flavors by slowing down. Portion control does make a difference and allows you to eat more often which is what we should do anyway. Three meals a day is not healthy. Our bodies do better with small meals every few hours. I need to lose this last 15 lbs once and for all!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Groupie

Wisconsin
Primary Elementary Teacher
For breakfast and lunch, I eat small portions and real food. I LOVE it. I drink water all day too. Nipple on carrots, grapes, cutie oranges. Feel great. I can even pass on lounge treats...or just snatch a nipple.

Then, after school, chips, crackers with cheese spread, dt pepsi. I take 2-3 helpings for supper. Cook in butter, fry in oil, eat red meat. Not everyday but 4-5 days. It not only saddens me, but I also feel ill. Burpy, etc. Sweets are not a big problem. There I can stop at one. Cheese popcorn is a HUGE weakness.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7
The changes I made to my diet (cutting out grains and drastically cutting back on processed foods) were more because of my health than for weight loss. I've lost a lot of weight as well, but have no plans to go back to eating the way I was before. For me, this is a lifelong change, not to deprive myself, but because my body doesn't "do" well with certain kinds of foods. I'm just sorry that it took me so long to realize that.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Groupie

Costa Rica
Science
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsC View Post
For me, this is a lifelong change, not to deprive myself, but because my body doesn't "do" well with certain kinds of foods. I'm just sorry that it took me so long to realize that.
This is what I think most people don't realize. Diets DON'T WORK. You need to have a LIFESTYLE change to lose weight, get healthy and stay healthy.

I lost about 30lbs a few years back by cutting portion sizes. I didn't do that for only a few months, I've watched my portion sizes every day since. And as soon as I decide to stop, I'll gain the weight again!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Teacher View Post
I know how to eat well, and I like healthy foods.

The problem? I also like the bad stuff.

I love a lot of healthy foods and plan healthy meals with the BF for the week. If I don't have junk food in the house, generally I'm good...but it always has a way of creeping up on me at work!! There is ALWAYS some kind of calorie laden goodness sitting on the faculty room table!! I have a tendency to crave sweets after lunch...and they're usually there....

Weekends end up being much less healthy too for me

Tags
eating, healthy