A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPapa View Post
When I got home, I got into my PJs, had soup, airborne, tea, orange juice, soup again, another airborne (after 4 hours), and debating whether to have tea or orange juice again. Also been constantly washing my hands since I also have a runny nose and a cough/minor sore throat. Am I doing a good job since I'm run down?
When I'm run down the first thing I always go for is extra sleep. I can't function well if I'm not in my bed for at least 8 hours, preferably asleep.

Comfort foods, whatever those are for you. Lots of fluids.

Are you taking a decongestant? It depends on my symptoms which one I try.

Since you are a sub, do you take your own kleenex box?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
I am currently super sick, so take my advice with a proverbial grain of salt.

I used to get sinus infections and pharyngitis all the time. I haven't gotten those things in the last three or so years (until now), and I think it's because I started doing the following:

Take a multivitamin every day. Make sure it has a good amount of B, C, and D. Airborne is good, but it's expensive. I find that a multivitamin does the same for a lot less money.

Wash hands frequently. Remember, you should scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds (long enough to sing the ABCs), and you should dry them with a paper towel BEFORE turning off the water--use the paper towel to handle the faucet.

Use hand sanitizer the correct way. The hand sanitizer should stay wet on your hands for at least 20 seconds, as long as it would take you to wash your hands. You need to let it air dry. Remember that hand sanitizer doesn't kill everything, even if you left it on for minutes or hours. The most common thing that it doesn't kill is the norovirus, which is responsible for a lot of illness in schools. Real soap and water is best whenever possible.

Don't let students touch or use your supplies. Ever. Keep an area for student supplies and stock it with a stapler, tape, extra pens and pencils, kleenex, etc. Don't ever let them touch your stuff.

Take off your shoes and change your clothes as soon as you get home from school. I immediately change into my PJs when I get home.

And the number one thing....Get a neti pot! Whenever you feel like something might be coming on, use that neti pot with some saline. The saline packs I use have aloe and echinacea, so they're very soothing. I use my neti pot up to twice per day when I feel some sniffling coming on, and that neti pot almost always manages to keep it at bay. If it seems especially bad, I also take some ibuprofen.

Great advice!

Hope you are feeling better, Caesar!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
Great advice!

Hope you are feeling better, Caesar!
Thanks for the well wishes! Still not feeling great. About to make a hot toddy on the advice of my parents. Here's hoping that it helps!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
What do you put in a hot toddy?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
What do you put in a hot toddy?
My mom and dad use boiling water, whiskey, honey, and lemon. I'm using hot tea instead of boiling water.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Comrade

Wisconsin
1st Grade Teacher
One more hint:
Carry a water bottle, and don't drink out of the drinking fountains at school! Just think of how many mouths are actually on those things in a day(some kids don't know how to get a drink without putting their mouth on it).
I've been healthier since I started doing this.

Tags
advice, constantly, kids, needed, sick, teaching