A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Newcomer

Florida
Need suggestions for finding a job

I graduated last December with a degree in K-6 Elementary Education with ESOL and Reading. My internship was in second grade. I've been subbing for almost a year, from high school to elementary. My interviews were at a job fair in my school district last May, but then budget cuts took over and 136 teachers were displaced. I'm now looking at another school district that is two hours away. Any suggestions on preparation for interviewing for a kindergarten position? I realize that I have no experience in kindergarten, but this district has several openings. Any ideas on interview questions that I might need to prepare for? I desperately want my own classroom to teach. I appreciate any help, suggestions or advice that you give. Thank you.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Novice

Texas
Middle School Teacher
If you don't know an answer to one of their questions be honest about that. Do not try to make something up and don't panic.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
Do you have an interview for a K position? If you have just applied and don't have an interview yet, I would try subbing a few times in a K class.

Other than that, read a lot! I find it helpful to read books, teacher blogs, this forum, and even Pinterest (no, really!). Try to learn everything you can about beginning literacy and math.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Rookie

Georgia
4th Grade Teacher
Don't focus on not having ever been in a K classroom before. Instead, focus on strengths that apply to any age group, for example, your excellent classroom management techniques or flexibility in the classroom. Also, be sure your answers are student centered. Good luck with your interview!

Tags
finding, job, suggestions